Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Well I might as well go first as im going to brew it this weekend.

American Brown Ale

10C. American Brown ALe
Aroma: Malty, sweet and rich, which often has a chocolate, caramel, nutty and/or toasty quality. Hop aroma is typically low to moderate. Some interpretations of the style may feature a stronger hop aroma, a citrusy American hop character, and/or a fresh dry-hopped aroma (all are optional). Fruity esters are moderate to very low. The dark malt character is more robust than other brown ales, yet stops short of being overly porter-like. The malt and hops are generally balanced. Moderately low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Light to very dark brown color. Clear. Low to moderate off-white to light tan head.

Flavor: Medium to high malty flavor (often with caramel, toasty and/or chocolate flavors), with medium to medium-high bitterness. The medium to medium-dry finish provides an aftertaste having both malt and hops. Hop flavor can be light to moderate, and may optionally have a citrusy character. Very low to moderate fruity esters. Moderately low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. More bitter versions may have a dry, resiny impression. Moderate to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have some alcohol warmth in the finish.

Overall Impression: Can be considered a bigger, maltier, hoppier interpretation of Northern English brown ale or a hoppier, less malty Brown Porter, often including the citrus-accented hop presence that is characteristic of American hop varieties.

Comments: A strongly flavored, hoppy brown beer, originated by American home brewers. Related to American Pale and American Amber Ales, although with more of a caramel and chocolate character, which tends to balance the hop bitterness and finish. Most commercial American Browns are not as aggressive as the original homebrewed versions, and some modern craft brewed examples. IPA-strength brown ales should be entered in the Specialty Beer category (23).

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt, either American or Continental, plus crystal and darker malts should complete the malt bill. American hops are typical, but UK or noble hops can also be used. Moderate carbonate water would appropriately balance the dark malt acidity.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 20 – 40 FG: 1.010 – 1.016
SRM: 18 – 35 ABV: 4.3 – 6.2%

Case Swap 2
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 18/05/2009
Style: American Brown Ale Brewer: Michael Neilson
Batch Size: 38.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 46.08 L Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 17.78 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.99 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 83.35 %
0.30 kg Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 4.17 %
0.30 kg Pale Chocolate (600.0 EBC) Grain 4.17 %
0.22 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.22 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 2.07 %
50.00 gm Cascade US Pellets [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
60.00 gm Cascade US Pellets [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
60.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 20.3 IBU
100.00 gm Cascade US Pellets [5.40 %] (2 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
70.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.045 SG (1.045-1.060 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.010-1.016 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 39.9 EBC (35.5-69.0 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 34.1 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 11.4 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.33 % (4.30-6.20 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.65 %
Actual Calories: 90 cal/l

May use 1056 or US05 And Also may add Centenial or as this will be a split ferment I may just do both? I will see.

Edit, Im going to ferment 19L with 1056 and the other 19L with 1469

Views: 320

Replies to This Discussion

Looks tasty. Will try not to spill this one. It still pisses me off when I think about that haha.

Haven't decided what I'll brew yet. At the moment I'm thinking

American Amber
APA
Belgian PA - quite unlikely as it would be my first.
Do a Belgian Pale Ale!!! Theres loads of guys on here with good advice regarding belgians!! 1st tip is pick right yeast strain that you like and pitch the right amount of yeast as these yeast I reacon are a little more tempremental than any other yeast as in there more likley to fart out undesirables more than anything else.
Hopefully this'll be good in two months time... and good enought to swap.

St Paddies Steadfast (Oat) Stout

Vital stats:
OG: 1.050
IBU's: 40
SRM: 36
ABV: 4.5 - 5.0

4.5kg NZ pale
400g Roasted Barley
250g Chocolate
150g Crystal 120L
50g Black Patent
27g Pacific Gem @ 60 mins

1tsp Irish Moss
2g Salt, 3g Baking Soda (forgot to bring Gypsum, so that didn't get added... )
Pitched with a smack-pack of Wyeast 1084 (so Reviled can get his greedy hands on some!)
Nice Mike, looks the biz! Nice big late additions and a quaffable alcohol content... But can you please edit the title to say case swap 3 ;o) cheers

Still unsure what will make it into the swap, ive plotted my brewing for the next month or so, im thinking either the Munich/Amarillo SMaSH, or maybe the Scotch ale..
I still might change the Hopping yet will see on Sat, Might even Brew a 7% American Black IPA too will see how I go for time, Im in such a great position now having about 10kg of Hops in the freezer!
Still mulling over my brew options.
On the shortlist

NZ Draught - you know y'all want it
NZ Pale Ale - playing about with some pacific gem and riwaka with lots of dry hopping
Dusseldorf Alt - cos i want to brew something European

Currently thinking its between the NZ Pale and the Alt - don't think i could show my face on here again putting an NZD into the caseswap
"...don't think i could show my face on here again putting an NZD into the caseswap"

Why not? I'd drink it. Craft beer is craft beer, doesn't matter what style. The difference is you've made that beer with your own two hands (well a bunch of yeast cells did but ANYWAY...) and it's not slammed out by the hectolitre.
Good point and i entirely agree. Just think with the CS i want to chuck in a beer with more flavour than an NZ Draught. But maybe i will now, just to see if i can make it more drinkable than I think it might be (if that makes sense)
I'd say set you sights high, that way if you don't quite pull it off, you'll still have a decent beer.

Imagine aiming for a NZ Draught and not quite making it?
I would like to see what could be done in the NZ draught category, so go for it. Unless you're thinking of cloning tui??:)
One of the beers on my list is also an american brown ale, a recipe I have been tweaking a few times, trying to determine how much amber and brown malt I can get away with. The last one I brewed with 30% amber+brown and its VERY toasty, like liquid wholegrain toast. Its still in ferment, but I think I have to tune it back a bit.

Otherwise I'm thinking:

NZ IPA
Saison
Imperial Stout
Belgian quad with a twist
Barley wine

But the last 3 probably wouldnt be ready in 2 months... I already have 15 litres of imp stout in ferment, I may just use that.
"They're My Son's Pills Officer" - It's a clone of my favourite NZ Pilsner..

5.0kg Gladfield's Pilsner Malt

20g Riwaka @ 60
30g Riwaka @ 30
30g Riwaka @ 0
20g Riwaka Dry hop in primary.

S-189 or Pilsen 2007 (but S-05 @ 17/18C produces a great beer also, which is my Blonde Joke).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service