Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Well I might as well go first as im going to brew it this weekend.

American Brown Ale

10C. American Brown ALe
Aroma: Malty, sweet and rich, which often has a chocolate, caramel, nutty and/or toasty quality. Hop aroma is typically low to moderate. Some interpretations of the style may feature a stronger hop aroma, a citrusy American hop character, and/or a fresh dry-hopped aroma (all are optional). Fruity esters are moderate to very low. The dark malt character is more robust than other brown ales, yet stops short of being overly porter-like. The malt and hops are generally balanced. Moderately low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Light to very dark brown color. Clear. Low to moderate off-white to light tan head.

Flavor: Medium to high malty flavor (often with caramel, toasty and/or chocolate flavors), with medium to medium-high bitterness. The medium to medium-dry finish provides an aftertaste having both malt and hops. Hop flavor can be light to moderate, and may optionally have a citrusy character. Very low to moderate fruity esters. Moderately low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. More bitter versions may have a dry, resiny impression. Moderate to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have some alcohol warmth in the finish.

Overall Impression: Can be considered a bigger, maltier, hoppier interpretation of Northern English brown ale or a hoppier, less malty Brown Porter, often including the citrus-accented hop presence that is characteristic of American hop varieties.

Comments: A strongly flavored, hoppy brown beer, originated by American home brewers. Related to American Pale and American Amber Ales, although with more of a caramel and chocolate character, which tends to balance the hop bitterness and finish. Most commercial American Browns are not as aggressive as the original homebrewed versions, and some modern craft brewed examples. IPA-strength brown ales should be entered in the Specialty Beer category (23).

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt, either American or Continental, plus crystal and darker malts should complete the malt bill. American hops are typical, but UK or noble hops can also be used. Moderate carbonate water would appropriately balance the dark malt acidity.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 20 – 40 FG: 1.010 – 1.016
SRM: 18 – 35 ABV: 4.3 – 6.2%

Case Swap 2
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 18/05/2009
Style: American Brown Ale Brewer: Michael Neilson
Batch Size: 38.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 46.08 L Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 17.78 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.99 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 83.35 %
0.30 kg Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 4.17 %
0.30 kg Pale Chocolate (600.0 EBC) Grain 4.17 %
0.22 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.22 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 2.07 %
50.00 gm Cascade US Pellets [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
60.00 gm Cascade US Pellets [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
60.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 20.3 IBU
100.00 gm Cascade US Pellets [5.40 %] (2 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
70.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.045 SG (1.045-1.060 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.010-1.016 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 39.9 EBC (35.5-69.0 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 34.1 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 11.4 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.33 % (4.30-6.20 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.65 %
Actual Calories: 90 cal/l

May use 1056 or US05 And Also may add Centenial or as this will be a split ferment I may just do both? I will see.

Edit, Im going to ferment 19L with 1056 and the other 19L with 1469

Views: 320

Replies to This Discussion

I think 15 bottles?
I thought it was 15 bottles - that makes it nice and easy buying those brewcraft 750ml plastics.

I know Ged and Rusty didn't get in in Chch this time so not sure if they'd want to jump in (assuming logistically that works out - i don't see why Stu's replacement would need to come from WLG)

BUT, just reading yr comment STu - how bad is 'not really good enough' I'm sure its not that bad - couldn't you just chuck it in? I for one would be keen to know what those Weyerman extracts turn out like before i think about buying one
That did cross my mind Ally. It's a subtle beer, I really wanted to give the extract a good chance to show off any flaws. I'd just feel a bit stink about putting in a beer that wasn't a "heart and soul" effort like everyone else has been doing.

I will try brewing 40L of all-grain BPA next week anyway, and by then I'll have a better idea about the extract one. Assuming I brew on 26th, and get a nice quick ferment, it should be ready to bottle by mid-July cut off date.
Im sure it will all work out in the end Stu :o)

Im a bit worried about my scottish 60.. I brewed it yesterday, but I mashed at 67, and wasnt really thinking about all of the crystal in it, hope it doesnt finish too high :-/ I probably should have mashed at 65/66, but what can ya do... I ended up with 23 litres as well instead of 19/20 so its definately going to be a driving beer :o) lol
I agree with Ally it would be interesting to taste a beer made with one of the Weyermann extracts.

I'd say don't pull out and just put forward the best beer that you can in the time available. I won't mind, after all from my perpective it's only one beer and I value your opinion just as much if not more than your beer.

The worst that could happen is that you'd get relegated from the case swap group for having the worst beer ;-)
I'd say that's fairly unlikely though given the highly experimental beer that I'm brewing at the moment.
Geez Stu, you could just repackage PKB :)
What Stu is actually saying is that's it's fucking unbelievable and he just doesn't want to give any away.

I agree with Mr Cherry, just chuck in whatever's best at the time. It's not like we're all gonna think you're a shit brewer or anything.
Hopefully this'll get cracking and be ready in time... just hoping the yeast was rearing to go as it bordered on underpitching.

Billie Jean BPA
Pale malt, pilsner malt, carmunich II, Cararoma, Carafa Sp II.
Motueka at 60, 15, 0min.
1.045, 22ibu
WLP550
The yeast absolutely hummed... was down to 1.010 in under 48hrs. Will rack to keg tomorrow or Wednesday and get it into the fridge asap. It'll be fresh but I think it'll be fine.
2 days? Wowzers!!
and kegged... fastest turn around ever.
tastes ok now, I'm just waiting for something to say "you fucked up".
two weeks until i have to bottle... i think??? I've not been great at keeping up with the logistics. Is that right?

I'm trying to pull a Newcastle... will I succeed where they failed?
Stu, did you add a little bit of semen to each bottle in this case swap too? If so, you should consider renaming it from "Billie Jean BPA" to "Beat It BPA" ☻

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service