Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

What beers did you brew during 2009?

I've just been looking back at the beers that I brewed last year and found it interesting to look at the different styles and how many I brewed. I brewed 18 beers in total, 6 of them being pale ales of some description, and arguably one lager fermented at 17c.

BEERS:
1 x Brown Ale
2 x Porter
6 x Pale Ale (APA & NZPA)
1 x Hefe Weizen
1 x Belgian Pale Ale
1 x Blonde Ale
1 x American Wheat
1 x Fruit Beer (Raspberry Wheat)
1 x Spice/Herb/Veg (Coconut Porter)
1 x IPA
1 x Schwarzbier
1 x Stout

BEST:
APA brewed for the WnBC. It was one of the last beers I brewed and I think my beers improved as the year progressed. One of the few beers that I've brewed that I would happily brew again without changing anything.

WORST:
Hefe Weizen using WB-06

Views: 504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My list for 2009:

Ordinary bitter - 127L
NZ/APA - 58L
IPA - 88L
Wit - 82L
Porter - 21L
Hefe - 22L
SMaSH - 24L

Worst beer was an under attenuated, under bittered IPA, far too cloying.
Best beer was one of the last, Simcoe Centennial IPA.
Brewing-wise 2009 only started in July...

1x Pseudo lager
1x English IPA
1x Belgian Strong
1x APA
1x Hefeweizen
1x Golden Ale
1x NZIPA
1x Stout

Best: Maybe the Golden Ale, while not perfect it showed the most promise.
Worst: That Hefe was dirty as. Borderline tipper...

EDIT: Just realised the stout was brewed on 1st Jan. Not eligible for this list...
Matthew - Out of interest, what yeast did you use for your Hefe?
T-58

Although I don't think the yeast was the problem. I had DMS issues. The Belgian also used T-58 and that came out a lot better.
In spite of what lots of people will tell you, T58 is not a hefeweizen yeast. It's a Belgian or German ale yeast, although it could be used for a Wit.
The only way to get a good hefeweizen, in my view and experience, is to use a liquid yeast such a WY3068, to pitch a good sized starter, and ferment at 17 to 18ºC.
Any other way will give you flavours or esters you really don't want, and produce unbalanced beers.
Hefeweizens are all about balance in my view, ie subtle spice such as clove, subtle banana, all balanced by the malt character and mouthfeel of the wheat. If any of these characteristics stand out and dominate the others, it's not a good hefeweizen.
The only way to get a good hefeweizen, in my view and experience, is to use a liquid yeast such a WY3068, to pitch a good sized starter, and ferment at 17 to 18ºC...Hefeweizens are all about balance in my view, ie subtle spice such as clove, subtle banana, all balanced by the malt character and mouthfeel of the wheat.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Use this advice, and you will brew a great hefe.
what about the old 30c rule (e.g. pitch at 12c and rise to 18c)?
Or is that a myth? I heard it through one of our old favourite members who was a stellar weizen brewer (Eddetchon RIP).
Nope this is gospel this rule.
Seven Blondes, eight Browns, nine Milds, 16 Pales and a partridge in a pear tree
Time you started brewing something random dontcha think JT?? Even if its just a once off? You may be pleasantly surprised!!
Nah, safe boring and predictable, just like me ... you know what you're getting everytime, unlike me
Maybe the Northern 'burbanites should collaborate and do a Black IIIPA. Something that would make MMMC2vCcWoTEvaOtheRLetTeERsArEUseD taste like some reject muntons kit... :P

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service