Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally got around to brewing this. I substituted the pilsner malt with marris otter:

7 kg Munich I
7 kg Marris otter

2hr boil
27 L
100 IBU w pacific jade, FWH and at 20 min
50 g pacifica @ 10
50 g pacifica @ 0

Gonna pitch 1968 and finish it off with a neutral US yeast if it doesnt attenuate well.

And then I was thinking dry hopping it with NZ styrian goldings, but thats still up for debate.
14 kg of grain, 100 IBUs !!
what is this monster?
That Has to be a Barleywine!! Dont dry hop it!! Think Why? To me this beer looks like its going to be good drinking next year!! the only taste then you will may get of that is all herbal!! so you might as well chuck a sprig of Italian Parsley in there!! (not to be Confussed with Curly Parsley!!)
Barley Wine: Malty sweet. Fruity/estery. Medium to full body. Very high alcohol. Low to medium diacetyl OK. Wyeast 1728, 1084, 1056, 1275, 1272, 3787.

Having said that, W1968 goes fine, never had an issue with it in nearly 90 beers.
If you brew well the yeast will perform (either that or I'm just lucky, or maybe oblivious to bad beer ;-))))))))
I brewed a 10.5% barley wine with 1968. I brewed a standard bitter with it first, then pitched the wort for the barley wine onto the whole yeast cake. Attenuated nicely, and is tasting great.
I just wanna say - Fuck MAF.

Ordered some 1272, chinook and warrior, and because of those hold-up mother fuckers my shit hasn't turned up so I can't brewing Pliny-Lite this weekend.

If this was 'What AREN'T you brewing' the answer would be, pliny-lite.

Motherfuckers, I was looking forward to brewing this.
If only Kempicus was still there. He'd have sorted you!
If Kempicus was here, he'd probably have himself some chinook, warrior and 1272.... :)
Haha yeah, oh well, in protest I'm brewing anyway.

S05, simcoe subd for chinook, and southerncross for warrior.
This is the recipe from yesterday.

20L, 1.054, 37 IBU

4.4kg Pearle
0.4kg Carapils
0.2kg Wheat malt
0.2kg Pale Crystal

66C Mash

7.0g Simcoe (Mash Hop)
11g Southern Cross - 60min
6.0g Simcoe - 20
6.0g Northern Brewer - 10
6.0g Columbus - 10
6.0g Simcoe - 1
6.0g Centennial - 1
33g Cascade - 0
25g Columbus - DH
13g Simcoe - DH
13g Centennial - DH

SO5 @20C

Ca - 112
Mg - 18
Na - 11
SO4 - 145
Cl - 50
HCO3 - 110
Just planning my next couple of beers. One of them is a robust porter and the recipe calls for approx 300g Chocolate Malt.

My problem is that I don't have any chocolate malt. I do however have Pale Chocolate and Carafa Special II.
What should I do:
1. Buy some chocolate malt
2. Use Pale Chocolate instead
3. Use Carafa Special II instead
4. Half Pale Choc, half Carafa Special II

Any other thoughts?
Our pale choc colour (~460L) is pretty similar to the chocolate malt they get in the states so you could just direct sub that. Especially if the recipe calls for Black malt.

Carafa special has been de-husked and the flavour will be too smooth for a porter, but you could always use that and up the black malt a bit.

I'd just buy some choc malt, but second to that I'd sub the pale.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service