Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you can control the temperature of the fermentation down around the 15~17C you can get lager like characteristics from S05. I have brewed a pils with W34/70 and the same grain bill with s05, and although you can tell the difference, it is not that far apart. I believe you can get a dryish finish from it, but if you have the time and the equipment use a real lager yeast strain.

Fermentis say S05 is good down to 15C, (1.5 ~ 2 packs in a 20litre batch if you pitch that low), so I like to experiment with it.
Ordinary Bitter this weekend... about my tenth version of a very similar malt/water/ibu profile ( but using Gales/Hales yeast for the first time and still not sure of what hops I'll use.
Are you going for the session end strength or the upper end?
upper end, about 3.7 to 3.8%abv
but that'll depend on how the yeast goes... I'm expecting about 70% AA
Just looking at doing one myself ... going the opposite way, 3% and only 25IBU ... and I pray for 70% AA :o)
Gales/Hales yeast

So you're not into yeast by numbers then Stu ?
Time to do the inaugural brew on the Red Shed Brewery's "new brewhouse"
Time to get the Ordinary bitter on the go for the next comp, if it turns out as bad as my last comp entry I have plenty of time to brew more!

4.4kg Ms Otter (89%)
200g Dark Wheat (4%)
200g Crystal (4%)
150g Roasted (3%)

48 g EKG @ 60mins
14 g EKG @ 40mins
14g EKG @ 20 mins
14g Cascade @ 10 mins

Safale - S04 in the fun bin

OG 1.050
35 BU
That's way big for an ordinary bitter...
I think of an ordinary as being 1.040 OG tops (and 1.050 for a best, 1.060 for an ESB)

Rather heavy on the roasted grains as well (assuming that the dark wheat is chocolate wheat and the roasted is roasted barley.)

Sounds like a fun beer (I know I'd very happily drink it!) but I don't think it'll really be to style with that recipe.
The Dark Wheat is not the same as Chocolate Wheat. I have both in my stock on hand. I use the Dark Wheat as a base for Dunkelweizens.
The 150 gr roasted is too high for my taste. If you are using it for colour, try Carafa Special II instead. I use it in my Milds, about 1.5%, and they have plenty of colour. The Crystal will also give you some darker colour.
Yeah, I used Carafa Special II to lovely effect in a bitter recently. Just 50g was enough to give it a dark copper colour in conjunction with some Melanoiden and Crystal that were already in the bill.
Looks pretty good apart from all that roast mate, wowza, is that roast barley??

Hope your brew goes well with the new set up!!
Red Shed?? So this is "The Warehouse Brewery"?? :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service