Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wats Ahtanum?
Cold brewer .. arthur numb ?
What's Ahtanum? Ahtanum!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, you should know brother!

Nah, just another US aroma hop, not that well known - it's OK, not the best hop in the world, quite fruity, I've used it once before in a blonde and got an interesting lychee flavour. It's pretty subtle compared to the rest of the US hops so will probably get drowned out, but should add a little hop fruitiness.
Eastie Boys 'Ashes of American Flags' (American Style Stout)

85% pale malt
7.5% caramalt 35
7.5% roast barley

50ibu of NZ Cascade and Pacifica

White Labs California V, 2nd generation

Last brew for me for 6-8 weeks or so. BrewNZ next week, followed by 3 weeks in Aus.
3 weeks in Aus??? what am I going to do for malt????? That Recipe has givin me a stiffy!!
Brendon was talking about doing the orders but I'm thinking people may need to plan ahead!
Will post something on the site soon...

I'll have some leftover Cali V that I'd only be chucking at the end of this week - let me know if you want a jar of it. I've run out of jars, so if you are passing by drop one off... I'll sanitise it and fill it for ya.
Done!! will do!! Whats it like?
I can pop into your work to pick up and empty and drop back a slurry...

It's like a cross between 1056 and 1968 from what I can tell so far. Cleaner than 1968, even with a warmish ferment, but slightly maltier and clearer than the classic American. Hard to tell on one beer that's only two weeks since brewday but I like it a lot so far. Throws out some sulphur early on so the room your fermenting in will smell a bit like there's been a bunch of boys hanging out in there.

More here:
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp051.html
Sounds like a plan, will have it their from tuesday. Sounds like a nice yeast for the American Brown V2 weighing in at a large 3.8%.
Finally getting around to using some of that lovely Simcoe and Centennial Joking got us:

Antoher 2 reasons for this brew is to: a) increase my experience with rye. b) figure out just how red CaraRed is.
I'm still boiling but I think it's safe to say that the answer to b) is: not very red at all!

Rif Raf Rye PA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 22.00 Wort Size (L): 22.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.40
Anticipated OG: 1.068 Plato: 16.51
Anticipated SRM: 7.3
Anticipated IBU: 55.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
70.3 4.50 kg. Gladfield Pale Malt NZ 78.97 2
19.5 1.25 kg. Rye Malt 63.42 4
10.2 0.65 kg. CaraRed 73.58 17

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 7.5 45 min.
5.00 g. Centennial Pellet 10.50 5.9 45 min.
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 10.50 14.7 30 min.
20.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 17.1 30 min.
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 10.50 4.8 5 min.
20.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 5.6 5 min.
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 0 min.
20.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 0.0 0 min.
15.00 g. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
15.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

US-05

Mash Schedule
Single infusion 67C, 90 min.
Just having the Hop Rod Rye, this beer is bloody good fat and juicy with the rye just showing its head at the end!!
I take it you drunk this beer and had to brew one?
I had this in mind for a while but I had the hop rod last night and it was outstanding completely! this is not quite like it though, much paler and lighter body, I hope. I was hoping it would turn out more red though but that doesnt matter. Not nearly as bitter or hoppy either.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service