Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron, cant help you too much on the whole gluten free thing, allthough id say that you can boil the malt in the full volume, what you have described is a very similair process to using malt extract where you top up in the fermenter to get your volume, and I assume the only reason they say this is because most new home brewers dont have access to a 30L + size kettle or a wort chiller...

Also, what the hell is corn malt? Is it like flaked Maize with enzymes? Or an extract?? Ive only heard of Gluten free beers being brewed with stuff like buckwheat which needs to be malted first...

You could try flicking an email to the bloke at Scotts brewery, they only do Gluten free beers!
Sourghum is the other grain I was thinking of, check this guy out, he may even sell you some malt?

http://scottsbrewing.co.nz/
Cheers for that. My mistake the kit which I will be brewing is sourghum grain extract, however I saw this one on trademe which is described as being made corn malt? Is there no such thing? I thought it would just be an extract. Thanks for the link to Scotts.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=302233875
Corn = Maize = They probably just extract the corn starch from this. The starch could be converted to sugars to make an extract which would be fermentable. I,m not sure I've heard of corn malt though.
God bless Wikipedia, and Friday boredom. Heres some pub quiz ammo for you:
"Maize starch can be hydrolyzed and enzymatically treated to produce syrups, particularly high fructose corn syrup, a sweetener; and also fermented and distilled to produce grain alcohol. Grain alcohol from maize is traditionally the source of bourbon whiskey. Maize is sometimes used as the starch source for beer"
Pretty much what Andrew says ;o) lol

I dont imagine beer fermented purely from corn malt or corn syrup or any form of corn sugar would be very good tho, the reason I say this is I add maize to my cream ales to lighten the body and overall thin out the beer, so id think there would be bugger all left after fermentation?? The scotts beer I tried was still a tad thin, but for what it is it aint that bad...

Also with bourbon they generally do a sour mash, so I wonder how back in the day they got the enzyme activity in the mash??
They still use barley malt in Bourbon, IIRC the general grist is 70% corn with the rest made up of wheat or rye and barley malt.
I have made the Sorghum Honey Cascade Pale Ale from the Zero G Website, it is (was) very nice IMO. I am about to bottle the corn malt beer (same as the one from TM). I have taken about 5 Litres and made it into a christmas spiced ale, and it tasted very nice prior to secondary. The rest I haven't tasted yet. Next project is a darker beer using malted rice syrup which they now sell at Piko in CHCH (about $8 for 500g) and molasses/demerera sugar/treacle.
Dry hopping lagers - do you use the same technique as an ale ?

I wanted some clean yeast to repitch so I've racked and dry hopped and sitting cool at 12C.

Is this ok ?
Hi all

A thoughtful soul gave me a can of Muntons bock for my birthday, any ideas on grain and hops to liven it up a little?
Lagers are not traditionally dry hopped. Dry hopping is an English Ale technique.

However, if you do wish to dry hop a lager, then use the same method as for your ales.
So dry hop in primary *warm* like an ale ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service