Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jacko -

As far as mash temp goes for an ordinary there isnt alot of malt to it, so I allways tend to mash higher, for me with my system this is around 68*c

Cant really help you with the S-04 cos I personally hate the stuff, but I think I remember maybe JT talking about fermenting it at 16*c and getting quite a clean fermentation? Otherwise, Barry is the man to ask!
Yes, I've had it fermenting low - 14 to 16 - by chance due to the weather, not by design
But with a day or two at 20+ at the end as recommended by fermentis - check out their hints & tips, it's worthwhile
Plenty of esters still, but no banana
Thanks guys, ended up with a best bitter rather than an ordinary as I hit 93% mash efficiency which is about 10% more than usual. Must be a combo of the Kolsch and smaller grain bill (4kg). I mashed at 67.7 in the end so hopefully it's all good. Deciding on 17.5c for ferment temp and will raise it up to 19-20 towards the end if need be.

450g of ?

Lol, I replied to this before I realised it was an old post. Sticklebract is the answer:)

Toasting grains - in Randy Mosher's book he says you need to wait about 2 weeks between toasting and using a grain, to get rid of nasty compounds that cause rough tastes and hazy beer - anyone experienced this? (I was going to toast some oat flakes for a brew this weekend, now I am not so sure about it).
Hi Nick
I have toasted some oats for a stout. I read the same info, we must have the same book. I waited 2 weeks before using it. I toasted it till it smelt like ANZAC bicuits.
Good luck.
I've read the same info, but in Palmer's book.

Even though, with my brew last weekend I still used the oats the day after roasting.

I'm a rebel.

But yeah, if you can, I would wait a little while, they did smell kinda 'rough'.
An update on this for anyone who may stumble across in a search:

Drinking this beer now, no roughness or anything at all. Is actually a pretty sterling beer if I say so myself - so don't worry too much if you're toasting oats, unfortunately I can't say whether it's the same for barley or not.
hmm, perhaps I will go non-toasted this time...
Hi Folks
I have a friend coming around on Sunday to do a brew...The difference this time, is he is Gluten Intolerant and the beer is gluten free.
The recipe suggests boiling the 'Corn Malt' in only 8ltrs of water with the usual hop additions then cooling it, and then adding more cold water to bring up the volume.
The info I am after has anyone done one of these brews before? and is there a reason for only boiling 8ltrs of the water or could I boil the malt in all the water?
Cheers in advance.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service