Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As above this one started at 1.050 and just like Tony's finished at 1.014.
Kegged it tonight, tastes ok out of the fermenter, will be interesting to see how it develops.
Couple of product news items:

Our old friend Thomas Fawcett has officially left Liberty for the short term. We just sold our last kilo of Dark Crystal, and there's none in the suppliers warehouse ATM... so the next best option would be CaraBohemian.

Also - the crowd pleaser "Rakau" hops are in stock too.
I can attest for the CaraBohemian being awesome, uber malty like caraaroma but without the sweetness, its really dry and goes down a treat in dark beers!! I used 2% in my WBC brown ale that I brewed on the weekend...
I think brewed with Cara Malt (for sweetness) or Cara Pils... that CaraBohemian would add quite a nice complexity to some brews.
Speed brewing tonight

Shitty Porter

69.9% NZ Pils
11.7% Munich II
8.7% Pale Crystal
5.8% Black Malt
3.9% Choc Malt

20g Southern Cross @ 60
10g Columbus @ 15
10g Amarillo @ 15
10g Columbus @ 0
10g Amarillo @ 0

Wyeast Pacman

1.054, 43 SRM, 46 IBU, 67C Mash, 20L

Aiming to cut down my usual brew day to about 4 hours. I cheated a little by weighing my salts, heating my water and crushing my grain last night. A usual brewday for me is 6 hrs if I'm organised and up to 8 if I'm being lazy. I'm also cutting down my whirlpool rest from an hour to 15-30 minutes and my mash to 30 minutes too - I'm hoping this will help with my overattenuation I've had lately.
"overattenuation I've had lately"

Wouldnt be that hungry pacman yeast causing that would it?

Also, what makes this porter so 'shitty'? lol ;o)
Nope, not pacman, that's what I used in the IPA and it attenuated less than I would have expected from 1056 haha - actually if you look at the stats for 1056 vs pacman, 1056 has a slightly higher attenuation.

Only thing I can really put it down to is my mash temp is dropping enough in the last 30 - 15 minutes for it to create some simplier sugars. And since I crush so finely I'm thinking it's making all the starches far more accessible than when I was crushing coarser. Most mashes seem to have converted by the 30 minute mark for me - this one will be the test to see if I get my usual efficiency or starch related problems.

Nothing really shitty about shitty porter- it just has a nice 'ring' to it ;-)
Choice all done and dusted ('cept aeration and pitching - waiting for a few degrees to knock off in the fridge) in just over 3.5 hours.
Dang bro, that's faster than my no-chillin. Course I do that for water reasons, not time. But wow.
That's with grain weighed and milled, water salts measured and HLT filled and timer set the night before. That knocked off about an 30 - 45 minutes.

Also knocked my mash time down to 30 mins, runoffs were quite aggressive and only a 15 minute whirlpool rest which all helped.

Oh and this other thing I discovered - organisation, haha.
Sweet, 3.5 hours is a pretty quick brewday!!

Im planning on putting down this bitsa on the weekend, trying to use up my hop bits and bobs plus a few random specialtys...

3kg Global Pils
800g Wheat
500g Vienna
160g CaraMunich II/I
90g CaraPils

60 - 12g Sauvin
20 - 18g Galaxy
0 - 15g Chinook
Dry - 18g Cascade

Wyeast 1469
Yet another evening brew. This one is (hopefully) destined for the Case Swap. It's a bit of a weird one...

MacKenzie's Windsor Ale
Based on a recipe first published in "Morrice's Practical Treatise on Brewing the Various Sorts of Malt Liquors" (London, 1819).

7.5kg Maris Otter
60g Honey (added at end of boil)

75 minute mash at 67 degrees

25g NZ Goldings @ 90 mins
25g NZ Goldings @ 30
25g NZ Goldings @ 5

Spices added at end of boil. I'll let the case swap participants try and guess what I've added! I'll just say there are a few.

No water adjustments - I wouldn't know where to start with this one!

Yeast is Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

Aiming for an OG of 1.088 and 30 IBUs.

I hope the Case Swapees don't mind me experimenting on them like this!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service