Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally... FINALLY... got the chance to brew for the first time since baby was born!! (Big props to Liberty for the last minute order!!). Decided to try a Smoked Mild:

13L batch

1480.00 gm Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 62.00 %
620.00 gm Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) 25.97 %
194.00 gm CaraMunich III (60.0 SRM) 8.13 %
93.00 gm Carafa II (412.0 SRM) 3.90 %
18.00 gm NZ Williamette [7.50 %] (60 min) 24.4 IBU
5.00 gm Liberty [4.70 %] (10 min) 1.7 IBU

Mashed at 67C for 60 minutes - batch sparged.
OG 1.042
Fermenting with SO4... I know, I know... I was going to use Irish Ale but forgot to start it.

Hit my OG spot on.

Any thoughts?
Just mashing this hoppy pils. It's a bigger, hoppier, pils version of a beer that I brewed over summer.

P-Sharp

NZ Pilsner
OG 1.059
IBU 35
BU:GU 0.60
ABV (%) 5.5
Batch Size (L) 22
Efficiency (%) 75
Boil time(min) 90

Fermentables:
5.0kg Bohemian Pilsner
300g Wheat Malt
300g Cara-Pils

Hops:
20g Nelson Sauvin @ 60min [23.0 IBU]
10g Styrian @ 15min [3.1 IBU]
10g Motueka @ 15min [3.8 IBU]
20g Styrian @ 5min [2.5 IBU]
20g Motueka @ 5min [3.0 IBU]
30g Styrian @ 0min [0 IBU]
30g Motueka @ 0min[0 IBU]
20g Styrian Dry [0 IBU]
20g Motueka Dry [0 IBU]

Yeast:
Wyeast 2112

Fermentation starting at 17C and maintained at 17-18C for one week, "free ball" for second week with dry hops for the last 5 days.

It's too late for the grist, but any thoughts on the hopping?
Hops look good to me - maybe sneak some Sauvin into the 30min mark :0)
Nice try Jo but Sauvin and I are still on a break. Bittering only for me at the moment.
Wheat malt and carapils? I would have thought they were for the same enhancement.
Carapils for body, mouthfeel and a foamy head.
Wheat for head retention.

Oops, and I forget the thick'ish mash of 2.5L/kg for body and ph.

My 2112 starter seemed to have piss poor head retention so I've increased the wheat and carapils a little to try and counter it.
I had the same issue with 2112 (and W34/70) until I used carapils and acid malt to modify the grist. Never used wheat malt, as as I said eariler thought they provided the same enhancements (mouthfeel and head retention).

I'm going to have to look at adding some wheat malt (looks like 5%) to see what happens.
Might find it dries it out a bit ?

I used hefty amounts of wheat - but I wasn't hell bent on brewing any particular style.
Was something like 70% pale (one brew even used Brewcraft light/lager Grain) 15% Munich and 15% Wheat

Bittered to 70% of OG, 50% of IBU's at 60 minutes and 30% at 30 & 20% at15 minutes, dry hop 1gm/litre

It was tasty beer but no thought of style went into it, more the flavours I thought I wanted
Summer Babe had wheat and carapils to dry it out. We used carapils for body and a smidge of wheat for a bit of complexity next to the corn. Having done a few carapils/wheat combos at home I rather like the combo

Looks like a pretty good recipe to me. I'd drink it.

Agree with Revs comments re the 2112. Wasn't overly impressed, but maybe that was my handling of the yeast. Found it a touch mineral sherbet which wasn't too my liking
I am no lager man but 17C and then free ball, isn't that a no-no for a lager? otherwise, the recipe looks scrummy!
2112 is the Cali lager strain that ferments at ale temps Soren.. I personally didnt care for it much the one time I used it, but I hear its quite the fussy strain and I probably didnt pitch enough...

Ive also used carapils and wheat combos before with good results, different flavours from the two as well!
Yeah, 17-18C is good for 2112. I'm not 100% sure whether I'll let it free ball for the second week yet. Free ball for me at the moment is 19-22C.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service