Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Newbie question... How much water would you initially boil up for this APA recipe Joking? And what kind of yeast would you use?

I'm a relatively new AG BIAB brewer...
For BIAB - I couldn't tell you. There are a few BIABers on here that'll be able to answer that for you. As far as the yeast goes - I'm using Rogues Pacman strain by WyEast, however you could use 1056, 1272 (from WyEast) wlp001 from Whitelabs or US-05 by Lasaffre (SafAle).

This recipe is for a 29 Liter Pre - Boil, 24 Liters Post Boil and 21 Liters into the Fermenter, then 20 Liters inot the keg.

Hope that helps bro.
Yeah that's a help, I'll try it out next weekend once one of my fermenters is free.

I usually need to start with 28 liters of water to end up with 19 litres of wort at the end, so I figure I'll just try with 31-32 litres this time, for the slightly larger batch size...
Sounds like you may be boiling it too hard, I have 28L pre boil and end up with 22-23 litres into the fermenter (60 minute boil). Can always top up with tap water of you overboil, I have had to d that a couple of times. I am new to AG BIAB as well, brewing my 7th batch tomorrow after work.
"The keg will be coming up to Auckland for a family get together (Poppys first brthday etc) and getting served by hand pump (Thanks Studio). "

What do I need to do to get an invite to that? ;o)
not sure what i'm brewing today as i'm making it up as i go along,i suppose it'll be something like an apa -pils,crystal,munich and plain wheat, its a first decoction, sitting on the protein rest at the moment

not sure on the hops yet but i have amarillo,cascade,motueka and sauvin
i don't want an in your face hoppiness but still on the hoppy side of the line, any suggestions?
i was thinking of motueka for bittering and a few combined additions of the others, do any of these tend to overpower the others?

cheers,martin
Feeling a bit left out as I'm not brewing today! I am trying one last time to resurrect this 1968 starter, so I guess that counts. Plus there's an empty keg that needs cleaning.

What is it about ANZAC day that gets the brewers out?
I'm feeling a bit left out too :( I have a starter of 3787 cranking away at the moment for a Tripel that I'll be brewing tomorrow if that counts.
Just drunk the whole hydrometer sample from my Tintin's Black Heart Begian stout. It has been sat in a secondary fermenter on oak chips and with the dregs of a bottle of Hallertau Porter Noir for about 2 months now. The SG has dropped from 1.014 to 1.008 over that time.

The brett is more pronounced in the aroma than on the palate, but overall I'm very happy with this. I was concerned the oak would start to dominate but it hasn't - there's a layer of oaky sweetness in there, along with some pineapply brett, but the overall flavour profile is of an extra-fruity stout. Licorice, coffee, hints of roast. Very long finish.

I think the time has now come to bottle it and leave the remaining brett to sort out the carbonation. To be honest it doesn't need much, but a little well help fill out the body.

Yum!
Sounds like the perfect case swap beer Martin.
Heh, nice try. The beer I have in mind for the case swap is equally bizarre. I've been brewing a lot of "normal" beers recently so my creative urge bursts out in huge great lumps - this one seems to have paid off, we'll have to wait and see with the case swap.
That sounds like an awesome beer. I've always been interested in brett/wild yeast beers, but I don't think I have the patience to keep something sitting in a fermenter for months at a time :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service