Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I squeezed out 6L of pear juice which I thought was a decent effort. I guessed another 1-2L still remained.

Topped up with a bottle of crisp apple juice and a bottle of original apple juice (the cloudy one) total of 12L @ 1.052

Pitched some trusty 05 and now I wait :D
I've been brewing up a storm lately, which is fortunate, as my beer cupboard is looking kind of bare.

Did a very fun brew over the weekend:
A partigyle witbier, which produced a hoppy IPA/Wit cross and a classic Witbier.

2.4kg Malteurop Pilsen
2.4kg flaked wheat
Mashed at 69C. (A bit higher than I'd planned, but should still be okay for these beers I hope.)

For the first beer, there were 7L of first runnings.
To this was added 150g of 30EBC caramalt and 50g of Caramunich 2 steeped in 1L hot water, for an OG of 1.064

Hopping (and spicing) schedule was:
10g Sorachi Ace (10.9%) @ 60
12g Sorachi Ace (10.9%) @ 15
12g Sorachi Ace (10.9%) @ 5
10g Crushed coriander seed @5
10g Lemon Zest @5

For a total of 50IBU.

Fermenting with the Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Wit) that I built up from a bottle of Three Boys Wheat using a 500ml starter, then a 4L batch of classic wit.

The second beer ended up with 15L at a gravity of (roughly) 1.030.
Boiled this down to 12L and added LME to give a final OG of 1.050

Hopping and Spicing:
12g Pacifica (6.4%) @ 60
10g Crushed coriander seed @5
10g Orange zest @5

Total 17IBU

Fermenting this one with the same yeast as the above.

Looking forward to trying them both out.
Depending on how it turns out I may use the first beer as another WnBC entry. It'll just squeak in as an imperial, but it's more fun than the IIPA that's my other option :)
Mayday mild, first of hopefully a run of brown ales leading up to the next WBC.

3.2kg Golden Promise
230g crystal
230g dark crystal
40g pale chocolate
60g mystery dark grain (mystery to me - unlabelled bag and I ran out of pale choc)
40gm cara-aroma
30gm black patent

15gm southern cross @60 (actually 70*)
7gm pacifica @flameout

wyeast 1768 re-pitched, kicked up overnight
OG 1.038

*Forgot to add irish moss with 15 minutes left in the boil, so extended the boil to about 70 minutes and lost a bit of volume. Be interesting to see if that has any flavour impact.
You couldn't pick the grain from the flavour Barry ?
My bitza brown had 70gm =1.6% of Brown in it and that was distinctive and something like Amber would be too I'd imagine
It was black as a lump of coal up a Welshmans arse jt. I didn't even bother. Amber or brown I would have given it a chew. It was darker than pale choc and given I've never bought roasted barley I can safely narrow it down to regular chocolate or black patent. Either way it'll taste alright.
Welshmans arse

I'll take your word for it Barry, even a mature leek is a bit on the dark side for me
Mmmm ... much more adventurous than my IIPA ... both sound like nice beers ...
Hiya, Can I ask where you sourced your flaked wheat? I have struggled to find it. Cheers Craig
Commonsense Organics have it in Welly.
Yup, that's where I got mine. They usually sell it in pre-packed re-sealable bags, however they said they could do bulk packs if I needed larger quantities.

According to the packages they get it from from "Millmore Downs" which is apparently in Amberley.
Yea, prepacked grains. Watch the date on them - some packs can be quite old - I've seen them 9 to 10 months old in the Hutt store.
Not sure how much of an issue that is
I fossick through for the newest
Thanks for the feedback on the flaked wheat guys. Cheers Craig.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service