Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm in need of some inspiration with my brewing, so I have come up with a fun idea: a homebrew competition.

Send me a bottle of your favourite homebrew/s. I'll pick my favourite beer, and the winner gets his recipe back as ingredients i.e. the malt and hops or equivalent substitute that went into making the batch. AND I will include your recipe as a kit on libertybrewing (with your permission of course)

It doesn't matter what style it is - I'll pick my favourite beer.

Best of all - your entry is FREE!!!!!

I'll update the progress on this thread.

Send me a P.M for my address. Entries close 28-2-10.

Cheers.

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Martin you need to stop the "one mouthful for me, one for the bottle" filling method.... :)
Can I give it to you in person on the 27th? Thats still before the 28th :oP

I wont have anything ready before then...
Yeah mate - no worries aye.
27th at Hallertau? If you are going to be there, I will also bring one of my latest to enter. I have too much dislike of the courier companies to bother with shipping. (yes, I am lazy too)
So how many beers did you get Jo? Was there much interest in this kind of comp?
Yeah - I haven't counted them all up yet... but there's enough to keep me going for a week or so.
there's enough to keep me going for a week or so
Nice! Hopefully there'll be something amongst them that will inspire you and get your juices flowing again.
Cheers mate - thanks for taking part. The response was so encouraging that I will definately be doing it again in the future.
Hear Yee, Hear Yee.

It was a lot of beer to drink - but I have finished the task, and have deliberated consicely.

I have to thank all of you who took part in this. I was seeking great inspiration and found some in the winning Ale. It really was a beautiful beer.

Honorable mentions have to go out to Mike Neilson, Andrew Cherry and Mark Kessel.

Mike - you may well have won with your Amber Belgian beer - but I was at your hose brewing with you that day. We both suffered a great frustration with that stuck mash. If I wasn't involved - your beer would definately had been considered a contender.

Andrew - I hope my comments found a positive response. Your beer is so flavoursome and so well balanced for such low gravities.

Mark - I know you are a relatively new to this, and your beer is so much better than mine ever was when I was in your shoes. Great work mate.

And I know what you are all thinking... Who won this damned thing.

Well - as hard as it was to pick out a winner - especially as a store retailer knowing full well that the recipe is going to cost me money - and knowing full well that the winning beer was an IMPERIAL version.

Glen.

Your Imperial Red Ale was so awesome. Truly inspiring drinking. Beautiful malt complexity backed up with massive bitterness, clean yeast esters - wonderful hop layers throughout. I think it was a lovely beer that really made me horny. I had never brewed one of these - and would never intend to untill I drank this beer. Now, I will definately give this beer a crack - your exact recipe. There is nothing to tweak here.

The competition goes to you.

You have the choice now to let everyone here know your recipe - and I will happily advertise it as a recipe on libertybrewing.

Please PM me your address, and I will get you your Malt, Hops and if applicable your yeast too.

Thanks again everybody - and watch this space: I will definately be doing this again.
Excellent work lads! Who'd have thought an Imperial Red would take it :P
Well done Glen
and what a great way to get recipes out there that actually work!
Good on you Joking great concept.
Chooooooooooooooooooooooice!

Mad props to everyone who entered and the honorable mentions above, great idea by Joking, works well for all parties.

I'm happy to share as the recipe as it was originally from Brewing Classic Styles and I tweaked it and up'ed to 'imperial' status, so I can't claim all the fame on this one.

Full recipe as follows, sorry for the page whoring but it's easier to copy and paste with code tags.

Recipe: Red63
Brewer: denimglen
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 30.02 L
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 16.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 94.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.30 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.28 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (Bairds) (3.2 SRM) Grain 79.69 %
0.42 kg Pilsner, Premium (Weyermann) (1.3 SRM) Grain 5.33 %
0.39 kg Crystal, Pale (Bairds) (50.8 SRM) Grain 4.95 %
0.39 kg Munich II (Global Malt) (12.5 SRM) Grain 4.95 %
0.20 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (36.0 SRM) Grain 2.54 %
0.20 kg Crystal, Dark (Bairds) (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.54 %
20.00 gm Simcoe [12.30 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7Hops -
25.00 gm Warrior [16.40 %] (80 min) Hops 43.5 IBU
40.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (10 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
40.00 gm Amarillo [8.40 %] (10 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
40.00 gm Simcoe [12.30 %] (10 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
40.00 gm Amarillo [8.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
40.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
40.00 gm Simcoe [12.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.60 gm Koppafloc (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.01 gm Calcium Chloride (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1.71 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.81 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1.95 gm Chalk (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
2.32 gm WYeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.39 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
3.06 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3.30 gm Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.03 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Safale American Dry Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: .NMOSBS
Total Grain Weight: 7.88 kg
----------------------------
.NMOSBS
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 24.45 L of water at 71.9 C 66.0 C

Notes:
------
20g yeast, Water used is Ca -112, Mg - 18, Na - 11, SO4 - 145, Cl - 50, HCO3 - 110. Water salts for East Auckland water - adjust accordingly.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service