Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have a couple of yeast questions so I thought I'd start a discussion dedicated to yeast.

I just got some American Ale Yeast (1056) delivered from Dunedin Malthouse. It arrived in a small bottle which was not what I was expecting (assumption is the mother of all F#$%ups). It appears to be unbranded and part of me is reluctant to spend 5 hours brewing and then risk a unknown yeast.

Does anyone have experience with these yeasts?
Would it be safer to buy some US05 and save the 1056 for an extract brew?
Are these great yeasts?
Any thoughts?

Views: 400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've read repots of big banana esters above 18 or 19 or 20C - seems to depend on your sensitivity. What temp was the ferment after you pitched at 19C ?

cheers, jt
It's been sitting on 20C for one week. I've got an American Wheat sitting next to it that's been on 18C. I was hoping that the Coopers brew would come down a bit but it has sat consistently on 20C. The smell has changed in the last day from "Pure Bananas" to "Bananary Beery". I'm gonna leave it for at least another week yet. I'm hoping to get some yeast re-use so I'll try a lower temp next time.
Bit of fresh wort on a very old discussion but anyway...

Every now and then I seem to get a problem with a US05 fermentation. It takes a bit longer than usual (2 weeks instead of the usual 7 days or so) and imparts a strong bubblegum flavor to the beer.

It also produces an excessive amount of haze that doesn't seem to drop out without refrigeration.

My first thoughts are maybe a heat spike during the ferment at some stage?

Any ideas?
I have also had some problems with US05 lately, getting very slow fermentations and low attenuation. Could be a number of factors: Mash temp, grain bill, gravity, pitching temp, fermentation temp. Do you rehydrate it in water or do you just pitch it in there?
Bubblegum flavour I've never got, as you say it could be from a rise in temperature, I'm not sure what else could cause it... Could just be stressed out yeast for either of the above reasons.
Happened a couple of times with tried and true recipes, pale ale, 1.050ish usually cool down to at least 25 before pitching.

Fermentation temp is usually between 18-20 C

Usually rehydrate but of late ive just been pitching it straight in which seems to work fine in terms of getting the fermentation up and running.

Maybe a bad batch of yeast? Gonna brew tonight so see what happens
What's the expiry date on the US-05 Pack? I've some bad US-05 ferments with packs that are close to the expiry date. I never got bananas but I did get a very cloudy beer that should've been a lot clearer. I've only ever get bananas from fermenting at too high temp (ignoring hefe's of course).
Check out this thread for more discussion on how US-05 can be dodgy at times:
http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/s05-suspension?comment...
Yes, I won't jump on my liquid yeast bandwagon, there is no debate, IMHO. ;)

Ralph Bungard gave this interview on RNZ, yesterday. At the end of the interview, the interviewer asks him for one tip to help all home brewers out there. Have a listen, I'll rest my case.
Attachments:
Yeah I really use dry yeast out of convenience. The cost of liquid yeast puts me off a bit and getting them mailed is a pain when you brew all the time. Easy to go down to the local and grab a packet of fermentis while the wort chiller's running heh.

For most the ales I brew US05 is fine, would definitely get a liquid yeast when brewing a more specific style though.
Dont think of the cost of liquid really, considering you can culture it up, and thrash out multiple generations of yeast over several batches... I generally get at least 5 batches per liquid yeast, with a bit of trub kept aside for the future! It really brings the cost down to even less than the cost of dried yeast!

But also agree with ya Toot, US-05 suits most of the ales I brew as well, its just nice to have something different every now and then :o)
I learnt the art of harvesting, so like Rev I get at least 3-4 brews out of a strain, and I repitch onto a yeast cake. When you look at it that way, it actually works out cheaper, plus I know I am giving my brew the best start I possibly can (regardless of my inferior brewing practices). I havent tried it yet, but I reckon, you could keep a yeast sitting in a sealed fermenter for about a week +/-. If it's going to be that long between brews, no problem? The more I am learning about yeast and how to work with it, the more I realise how resilient it actually is. As long as you practice good sanitation and hygien around it, it really will respond.

Naturally, there will always be mishaps, but I (touch wood) have not as yet had a drain pour due to an infection, just lack of brewing practice.
Once you learn harvesting and freezing, the cost is dramatically reduced. One smack pack lasted 10 brews last year.... (or about $1.80 of yeast cost per brew) by harvesting each generation and freezing etc.

Dry yeast is just convenient for me, I have even harvested W34/70 without issue.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service