Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Never one to put a normal beer into a case swap here is the story of my Eis-bitter...

Ice Ice Bitter (labelled with a "P" sticker on the lid, assuming that doesn't come off)

Brewed 40L of a summer-style pale bitter but it has ended up as some sort of "Strong Burton-style Pale Mild Eisbitter".

The recipe, from memory (will update once I check the recipe), was:
Burtonised liquor
96% UK Pale Malt
2% Crystal 90
2% Wheat
Mashed 60min
Boiled 75min
Hopped exclusively with Pacifica - 60min, 15min, 0min - to 30ibu.
WLP002 - "Fuller's"

It was originally 3.5%abv when it went into the keg. I've been drinking the 3.5% keg at cellar temps for a few weeks and although I'm not enamoured with it (Pacifica a bit sweet on its own) I have found it reasonably sessionable.

The second keg was in the cold conditioning fridge for three weeks. On Saturday night I started pouring into 750ml bottles. I poured the first into an old bottle for myself and then cracked open the new pack of Brewcraft bottles. I'd only had a half-pint or three from the keg during conditioning so was more than a little surprised when the keg burped at the start of the 15th Brewcraft bottle - even if I'd had 10 half-pints there should have been plenty left. Upon pulling the keg from the fridge it still felt heavy... I opened up the bugger and found a bloody big old block of ice inside!

I've still got to measure the water volume left in the keg and work out the final ABV but I'm guessing it's about 6%... possibly more.

So, rather than defrosting the leftover water from that beer and filling the last bottle with that, one (lucky/unlucky?) case swapper has got a bottle of my Motueka Bitter coming (MO, CaraMunich 2, Amber... 3.6%... no water treatment... 100% Motueka hops). Marked "M" on the lid.
Removed from the case swap by Matthew (The Good Samaritan) as I actually sent too many beers anyway!

Merry Christmas.

Views: 41

Replies to This Discussion

There could be some kind of copyright issue here, I'm pretty sure I hold the patent for case swap random easter eggs.
i marked my bottles, rendering them eggless, so as to not infringe on your patent (and because it is closer to kriskmass than easter).
lol, made me laugh stu, looking forward to trying it ;o) The joys of being a distributor will ensure I obtain an eis bitter haha
Hmmm, I was just pondering which I shall choose. Decisions, decisions... :D
BTW, some of your little letter 'P' stickers were falling off the lid so I made a new nano label for you. I'll let other's review it... #cheekybugger
As long as you have "Vanilla Stu" on them, you'll be right!
That's a good one! //writing it down...
Yo Eastie Boys, let's brew it.

All right mash, sparge and start whirl poolin',
Stu's back and he's been a brewin',
Somethin' pours into my glass very brightly,
Flows real amber and strangles my taste buds tightly,
Will it ever stop, yo I don't know
Turn off the lights and it'll glow!

Ice Ice bitter....
Thought I'd kick this off. I've had a 'P' (or upside down 'b') sitting in the fridge staring at me all week so I've decided to put it out of it's misery.

I know nothing about bitters, and especially burton WTFuzz Eis Pale ones so this has given me a pleasant surprise. It pours a crystal clear light amber. Not a whole lot of carbonisation (I was a tad circumspect as I'm still a bit of a heathen who likes a touch of fizz). I tasted the sweetness of the pacifica first. I thought pacifica had a bit more of a pronounced orange note where this is almost a mandarin or sweet naval orange. The malt comes next and I really like that subtle crystal in the background. I was surprised how much I liked the carbonisation, it worked really well. Good intro to a bitter, I should probably go searching some more...

I don't want to infringe on any copyrighted case swap review ideas but Stu seems to like a spot of music and this sprung to mind as I was drinking*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSYadh2xmcI

*I have a 2 yr old...
mandarin or sweet naval orange

About the color of Elmo then ?
Elmo has a touch of that Carared. Approx 6%...
Was Elmo mashed or just steeped then ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service