Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The recipe looks good. Maybe up the Oat malt and make a statement with it. I'm not sure that you'll notice 23 grams in the finished brew. Looks like it would make a fine Belgian Blonde - and that Unibroue yeast is probably one of the best...

...and it's from Canada...

... how ironic!
Hi Guys
Heres my plan for the Saturday brew up, adjustments and suggestions welcome.
23l batch
6.5kg Pale ale malt
340g crystal
mash @ 66deg for an hour

60g pacific gem @ 60min
40g NZ hallertau @ 30min
40g Motueka @ 15min
30g Motueka @ 5 min

Safale us-05

Then some dry hops in 10days to a fortnight.

For the mash does 3ltr per Kg sound about right? this is what I usually do.
I use 2.5 : 1... but I dont think it makes that much difference at those levels. 5:1 would be a gifferent story.
I've been using higher ratios lately, in the 4 - 5 L range, and getting better efficiency.

At the moment I'm aiming to get 14L from the initial run off, and 14L from the sparge for a 28L boil, batch sparging.
I've been using higher ratios lately, in the 4 - 5 L range, and getting better efficiency.

That's mash ratio, per litre of grain ??
Sorry, should have stated - 4 - 5L/kg.
Sorry, meant to say per kg of grain

So 4 to 5 litres per kg for the mash - is that after you top up or mash out - if you do ?

getting better efficiency
I've had better effic from a slightly stiffer mash, around 2.5 to 2.75 and then adding the unfashionable mash out to get my first drain volume
dudes!

need some advice on when to add hop to extract the most flavour.
i've read that anything up to 15mins is good.

but at what point during the boil, will i get maximum flavour from my hop?
as i've heard people say they add all their flavour hop at 5mins and 0mins.

point in case, my IIPA thats fermenting atm, has 100g Motueka at 15mins, and Rakau, Nelson Souvin and Riwaka at 10, 5 and 0 (in 25g lots each). and the souvin is dominating the flavour. i was kinda after a nice motueka flavour donimation.
Sauvin is a pretty dominant hop. It should chill out after a bit of conditioning. Mind you - in combo with Riwaka - the lemonyness starts to go OTT.
Here Here Jo, a lot of the NZ hops can give you the same charactisticts when added in large amounts it can fool you you have over added in 1 hop exspecialy when you have added Sauvin!! heres my disclaimer___

NELSON SAUVIN IS NZ"S GREAEST HOP

Like it or lump it, its a great bittering hop. i'st fucking fantastic in the middle of the kettle and its even better in the end of the boil!!!

Get over it Lads NZ Sauvin is the shit!! I reacon we will struggle to buy it soon!!
Get over it Lads NZ Sauvin is the shit!! I reacon we will struggle to buy it soon!!

I believe NZHops sold out of it a couple weeks ago, lucky the next harvest isn't too far off.

Also seems to be popping up in a few American beers now and the US homebrewers are starting to catch on.
After some advice, I think I will modify the recipe to this. How do you guys think this will turn out? Under Matthews advice, I will make the candi sugar. I was just wondering though...if I add this after the batch fermented a few days, how can I get an accurate SG since the malts would be mostly fermented?

Should I just throw the Candi Sugar in with the malts? I am guessing a total OG of around 1.065 should be possible with BIAB on this.

23L Batch
Mash at 67C

5.4 kg Global Pilsner Malt
500 g Thomas Fawcett Oat Malt
500 g Belgian Candi Sugar
25 g Baird's Crystal (Medium) - 150 EBC

60 Min 20gm NZ Saaz
30 Min 10gm NZ Saaz
15 Min 20gm Fuggles
0 Min 10gm Fuggles

Yeast Unibroe

RSS