Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok - so this might seem a little weird and PC by my usual standards but in team meetings at work I encourage people to give a quick "barometer" check of their week to see how they are going. It helps people crystallize their thoughts into the essential things that are going on. So I thought I would try it here on the forum.
There are only 3 rules:
1. You must provide an answer when asked as you would in a team meeting at work - if you are lucky enough ;-) (volunteer out of turn - it's fine on a forum);
2. You may have as many highs for the week as you can reasonably think of but at least one is compulsory; and
3. You may have a maximum of only 1 low for the week.

So what are my items this week? Glad you asked....

Highs:
1. California Lager yeast (Wyeast 2112) - wow, just loving it and the fact that beers take so little time to condition up!
2. Quick disconnects for my gas on my corny kegging system - how did I live before hand. If people want to get you a cheap but valuable present for birthday/father's day/any other reason then get them to buy you a QD's for less than $35.
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=964

Low:
1. Promising 15L of beer to a friend on Friday 30th May and knowing that you don't have a hope in hell as it's that good it won't last that long! ;-)

B

Views: 676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

High:
Made a trip to morebeer.com on Los Altos. Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay. Excellent LHBS. Drooled at the selection of equipment, malts and yeasts. I bought a lot of booty - photos to follow.
(Totally recommend anyone in the valley to check this place out - a little hard to find, so make sure you google closely)
High: getting a pre-release taste of Armageddon and Maximus, plus a taste of last years' versions. All very good, my pick is this year's Armageddon though. It'll be really interesting to try it on tap. Cheers to Luke and Steve for hosting!

Low: Getting all prepared and putting a base coat on a wall at home, going to clean up, and realising the undercoat I was trying to clean up with water was in fact oil based. Cue giant mess and a couple of good brushes in the bin.
High for last week was arriving home late on Friday to find a case of Armageddon that Luke had timed to arrive in time so I could have my own launch party at home (not being able to make it to Wellington).

This years Armageddon is probably the best beer I've ever had (if such a concept exists). It is so drinkable, there isn't a rough edge anywhere, superbly balanced whilst at the same time hoppy as all get out. The abundance of hops is late/dry, the actual bitterness is super smooth and very balanced, quite a big peak of sweet malt for a very moreish mouthfeel. The dry hop doesn't have a shred of grating roughness, rawness or grassiness, it's all pungent citrus and pine, every sip is like sticking your head into a sack of American hops. It's wonderful, my hands curl up into devils horns and start shaking. \m/ \m/

This beer is a massive achievement Luke. Amazing job.
Yeh, I love it too. I've heard a few people saying that it is a bit too sweet but I like that. I think it is every it as good as the IPAs that came in from USA this year. Better than most. Perhaps only Alesmith IPA would shade it.

It's miles away from "the best beer I've ever drunk" stakes, for my personal taste, but it is certainly worthy of iconic status. Mad props Luke. And let's not forget Maximus. I preferred armageddon but Maximus was really good. Both beers improved immensely this year.

How do we get a box delivered???? is that a mail order thing or a "I love you Barry" sort of thing?
Highs:
1. Getting a 270l hot water cylinder for nix.
2. Having all four kegs full and in the kegerator.
3. Buying a new digital thermometer as my mechanic only starts at 40C up to 180C, and wanting to make sure temperatures are correct down to freezing.

Lows:
1. Finding out that my mechanical non adjustable thermometer has been out by 2 - 5 degress since I have not idea when... 50C is actually 47C, mash temp of 67C is about 63C and mash out of 76 is 71.... f***.
Highs: Just racked off the last of my ales. The Ginga Irish Red (which isn't as red as I would have hoped). Doesn't taste completely awful either, despite sitting on the yeast cake for several weeks. Finished up 1007 - first time using a refractometer. They're the bomb!
Lows: Last week living in Seatoun for the moment. Moving into some temporary living while we look for houses. Unfortunately I'm leaving my beer gear behind in storage.
P.S. Highs: The Malthouse will be my local.
P.S. Highs: The Malthouse will be my local.

Could be a low, that's a very long bus ride to Seatoun after a night in the pub
Low: Road works on Kyber Pass means the bus lane is dysfunctional adding 20mins to journey.

High: Getting stuck in said road works but enjoying the aroma of an industrial size kettle boiling at the Lion brewery. There is nothing like the smell of malt to get you thinking about brewing, drinking and reading about beer. Real shame the brewery is moving out of town - much preferable than some cheap apartments or another Westfeild!
you're closer with the Westfields...
lows:
missing Tony and his dad's visit to Wellington (sick)
missing Steph's 5 year party (sick - and so was she)
missing Kieran's 30th (sick)
not riding Taupo for the first time in 8 years... still sick!

highs:
* Bruce Holloway's Yeastie Boys article in last weekend's paper
* no bike ride meant I got to do a road trip with Frankie (my 3yo boy) to the central plateau - tanks, planes, pools, Huka Falls and three magic mountains in absolutely perfect conditions...
* a few flagons of my two recent hombrew ordinary bitters, Hallertau Porter Noir 2007 (probably my last taste) and Graeme Mahy's homebrewed Imperial Stout... with some of my best mates at Taupo, after they'd all kicked ass in the bike ride.

Great times. Always look on the bright side of life....
Highs.
Selling out of His Majesty within hours of at article mentioned by Stu above. Pity that PKB Remixed was only mentioned as being in kegs.

Moving to a larger premises.. many times larger than where we were.

Lows:
Moving premises.. Many, many thousands of bottles of beer to move.. not fun.
Highs:
* Pearl Jam and Liam Finn (especially Liam Finn - the man is a god) - Ben Harper was good, just not my thing really.
* Another great time with great people at the WBC at Hallertau

Lows:
* Gaining more weight. More exercise needed to keep up with beer intake.
* First potential drainpour beer in a long time - my SMaSH APA (GP and Centennial). Transferred it to dry hop last night and tasted fusels and band-aid phenols. No idea what's caused that. I initially suspected my temp controller was bung, but tested this morning and it's accurate.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service