Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea, be a damn good day without that wind eh ?
I guess I'm lucky that there was only a 60min hop addition, extending it out to 90 isn't going to do too much to the IBU's.
It was a good but not great brew day - stuck mash, boilover and then I tried to cool the hydrometer sample under hot running water

But the wort was tasting good and I ended up a tickle over 1.040 so I'm happy enough

Anyway, time to get some pizza dough underway and then it's my turn as goalie
I had a stuck mash and a boil over too.

Must be the day for it.

Once its in the fermenter I'm off to Poms for a pint of Mayhem to celebrate finishing
Summer Babe today - Cream Ale

77.7% Gladfields Pils
11.1% Flaked Corn
5.5% Wheat
5.5% Cara-Pils
19IBU Columbus @ 60
18IBU between 30 and 10
2.5g/L Simcoe at 0
Wyeast 2112

Should be a good one - later start than I'd like having sat about watching the delayed premiership coverage for too long
Just brewing my CBC NZ pale ale, broke my hydrometer while I was sparging, so fingers crossed with this. No other problems so far, 1 hour left on the boil. Will watch out for boil overs as its the day....
Malts - Gladfield ale, carapils, vienna, medium crystal, caramalt
Hops - Nelson sauvin, Pacifica, Williamette.
Yeast London ale.
Where'd you get your flaked corn from Ally?
brady's belgian wheat

0.96 kg. White Wheat Malt info
1.92 kg. Belgian Pils info
0.48 kg. Munich Malt info
4.55 kg. Wheat Flaked info
0.24 kg. Oats Flaked info
29 g. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
29 g. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
29 g. motueka (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
1.59 ounces Bitter Orange Peel (not included in calculations)
2.64 teaspoons Crushed Corriander seeds (not included in calculations)
2.11 pounds oat Hulls
safbrew wb-06

did my first decoction today-never intended to:- mashed in, added cereal mash,aiming for 65c and hit a "magical" 50c!-bollocks. my calculations need a wee bit of polishing!
it's amazing by how little a full jug of boiling water raises the mash temp, my mashtun would have been overflowing by the time i got it up there hence the decoction, once i got it to temp it took almost 2 hours to convert and probably sat for another 45 mins below 60c. i'm sure lots of things were happening in there that i don't understand yet!
everything else went great until after chilling and i measured the gravity. i wanted 40 ltrs at 1.045 and got 42 at 1.036. bollocks! again!
on the plus side the sample did taste real good so hopefully it still has a fighting chance of being a winner.

is it possible to buy pre gelatinized wheat or barley in nz .cereal mashing really is a pain in the arse! if so then what are they known as?

cheers
martin
Trying to teach my dear old dad the craft of brewing, he seems a bit confused:)

Rye Stout:

60% gladfield
20% rye malt
5% flaked rye
10% pale crystal
5% roast
and a pinch of aromatic

50 IBU, Southern cross for bittering, motueka @15 and 0.

shooting for 1.065

wyeast 1272
Brewing after what seems like a month, demand will be exceeding supply. its been a great day, and not just because of the weather. I found a bottle of my dubbel which I thought was all gone and is now over 6 months old, its improved out of sight.

Brewing for the first time with a digital thermometre, Its such an improvement for me, upon checking with my old thermometre there were discrepancies of 5-10C ! I urge you all to invest in one if you haven't already.

Making the Pilot Biere de Garde for Peak, who knows what this will turn out like. Could be Masterton Farmers market only release, maybe just as well if I'm in charge.
50% Pilsner
35% Vienna
5% Carahell
5% Wheat
5% Sugar
Sauvin to 30IBUs
Wyeast 3711
OG 1.07
Projected FG 1.008
maybe its just me having a bad time with them but be careful with those digital thermometers, i'm not sure if its just the one i bought but i've had 2 crap out on me, i'm thinking they (or at least mine!) must be very moisture sensitive
Yes, I can see it coming to an untimely death through me dropping it

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service