Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

The Herald makes another of its rare excursions into the world of beer...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/article.cfm?c_id=204&obje...

In a damning report on strong beers being sold in supermarkets the writer highlights the "problem" saying, "The strongest - 12 per cent Gordon Finest Platinum - has the same alcohol content as many wines."

Shock horror!!!

The implication here is that while it's perfectly normal for wine to be 12 percent or more, it is not acceptable for a beer to be that strength. Why?

In Blenheim - and, I suspect, elsewhere - supermarkets routinely offer budget wines for $7 a 750ml bottle, or less. That works out at $9.33 for a litre containing 12 plus percent alcohol.

According to the Regional Wines website the Dutch brew Pirate retails at $4.75 for a 500ml bottle. That's $9.50 per litre containing 8.5 percent alcohol.

Which drink then should be being singled out for criticism for offering the biggest (potentially most harmful) bang for the buck?

Answers please to The Herald.

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally agree Geoff - this is such a small issue with regard to binge drinking and I'm sick of the media, The Law Commission etc. paying to these zealots. I'm not too worried if these particular beers dissapear from the shelves but I've very concerned about what legislation changes might to do to local beers like Marlborough Pale Ale and imports like Chimay.
Absolutely!
How's that SOBA press officer coming along Geoff? This (and similar) is exactly the sort of thing they should be commenting on via open letters to the Herald, cross-posted to the SOBA website. :)

That paper is a damn disgrace. No wonder sites like editingtheherald.blogspot.com have sprung up to point out just how many flaws exist in their shoddy sensationalist reporting.

Once SOBA have succeeded in saving beer in NZ, perhaps we need a SOJA to save journalism. Geoff for prez there too, I think! ;)
I'm also missing Geoff's articles in the Koru Magazine. The last few have been disappointing reads.
Dear oh dear, yes! What a cringe. Sure good beer in the press is good but this guy still treats beer like he's a teenager. Do we really need to hear about how he gets his mates around to suck a few down and give him their thoughts for his article? I can picture them all drinking the beer and him writing some funny notes for the article before they crack open their expensive bottle of wine and normal sophisticated behaviour resumes.
It seems I wasn't the only one to have thought that. I did think it was good that they've kept the beer column though. I also don't think the new chap (forget his name) is quite as bad as he could be. After all, it could be Tyack! :) Good on them and him for giving it a crack, but bring back Geoff.

As an aside, never mind the Koru mag, how do we get some real beer on the bloody planes?
Gordon McLaughlin or something similar to that IIRC. I think it's great they still have the beer column - it was noticeably missing in a few months editions.

It would certainly be nice if AirNZ promoted craft beer on the planes - doubt it's reasonable for them to do it in anything other than Business or Premium Economy though. I'd *love* to see a selection in the lounges too.
This is the dude that refers to Moa's 5 hop winter ale as a pilsner and draws strong resemblence between Armageddon and trappist beers...?? the guy's obviously clueless but at least good beer is in the magazine I suppose...
if some one like emersons canned their beer, AirNZ would probably consider it as has been the case with James Squire on Qantas... Even a Sassy Red or Great White would be a delight on the plane, but again I think it needs to be canned to be considered... Leigh Sawmill might be in contention. they can their beer, right?:)
is the methode traditonelle canned?
Now remember its beer Stu, and us beer drinkers as soon as we are on a plane we have to use beer bottles as weapons, not wine bottles duhhhhhhh!!
Working for AIr NZ, I have asked the question to catering, all comes down to packaging. As the plane goes through big changes in pressure, cans work well. With wine bottles is easier now that they have screw caps. The other thing is the weight.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service