Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

It seems that I can get a FridgeMate MKII delivered for $67 from Mashmaster or I can get a TempMate from craftbrewer delivered for $88 (both prices excluding any import duties or GST I might have to pay in NZ)

Is there much difference between the two - looks like the Fridgemate gives me 1 degree temp control while the Tempmate gives me 0.5 degree control - it that of any importance?

Are there any other differences I should know about?

If the products are more or less the same are both shops reputable?

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What are you planning on using it for?

If for fermentation temperature control go with the tempmate - it's a 'dual' controller, meaning it hooks up to a fridge and a heater at the same time to give you more precise temp control.

If just for a keg fridge, the fridgemate is fine and can be set to cool OR heat, but not both.

+- 0.5 is good for fermentation temperature control, +-1.0 is fine for a fridge.

I've had great service from both stores.
Good thing I asked - I didn't realise that the Fridgemate could not do both at once. I am going to use it for fermenting temps so I will definately need the Tempmate.

thnaks
Bugger!
Just about to buy it, ran it past my brewing assistant and financial controller (and wife) who pointed out the rates bill and the something bill (stopped listening by this point) and the something else bill are all due this month.
Have to wait till next month.
Out of curiousity have you ever noticed how often or if the heating pad comes on when you are controlling both heating and cooling?
I suppose on a cold day(13) with temp set to 18 it might come into play a bit but any observations in general?
Not a lot to be honest...I remember working in the garage late at night last week - doing a bit of tidying of the told tools lying around..Everytime the relay in the box clicked I popped over to look and the heat light had come on. I would say it came on approx three times over 2.5 to 3 hours - each time for around 10 minutes ish. I am guessing the fridge retains the heat pretty well..Should you open the door to admire the bubbling and a blast of cold air hits the sensor( even when its attached to the side of the fermenter) it'll kick into heating again for a few minutes. As Denimglen said, if you use the Tempmate its brilliant for fermenting. I have a heatmat in the bottom of the fridge and the controller happily switches between cooling (fridge) and heating (mat) to keep temps even. Make sure you take care wiring it up - straightforwards enough but different from the Fridgemate.
If you were talking about .5F, I would say I would not worry about it...However, .5 C is a much bigger range in actual temp.

Personally, I would go for higher accuracy. Keep in mind that I am certainly no expert in brewing, but I am a geek. :)
I wish I had got a tempmate as it is rated to 20AMPs while the fridgemate is only rated to 10AMPs, which means electric kettle controller!

I work out the prices a little differently as Craftbrewer tempmate = NZD$96 (AU$78.43 inc delivery) and fridgemate = NZD$61 (AU$50.18 inc delivery). MashMaster is not the cheapest for the fridgemate (I know I bought from them originally!).
Just looked at the Tempmate on Craftbrewer and it showed AU$74.50, when I changed the currency to show NZ$ it came to NZ$74.50. They probably take the Australian GST off and that would make the price about the same, so we gain. Tempting, but I think I've spent enough lately.
I brought one of these from Ross recently and it was $110 when converted to NZ$ and delivery. Well worth the money though, got mine hooked up and fermenting my Okky at 10c swt as.
I love my TempMate.
Bought mine from CraftBrewer, and it's been one of the best investments in improvement for my beers.
Definitely worth the money.
My observations of switching from cooling to heating are not dissimilar to Ged's.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service