Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey James im using a 3kw, I have brewed 23L and a 45L with no ill affect only thing is I think the quality of plating is shit as it turned a blue black colour.
I have a 3kW and a 2kW, individually switched. I used them together to get up to the boil - took 20 minutes to get 30 litres of wort from mash temp up to boil. I then switched off the 3kW and the 2kW element maintained a very vigorous boil no problem.

Pics once I've got them off the camera.
Pics?? Come on its been a while now Martin....
Pics?
Thanks Martin, have you got your elements running through a relay or something as 5kW at once sounds like a fuse blower!!?? *Edit: just read individually switched, what is the power source?

Mike, following your leads from when we spoke, I picked up a 3kW hermetic (?) hot water cylinder element for $10 so will use that (have to wire it up yet!). Wanting to consider adding a 1.5kW or similar as a booster.
Er, you'd have to ask my electrician! The 2 elements are just running off two standard sockets. My shed has its own distribution board. The wiring was designed by my electrician based on my description of what load I was planning to run. I was a little nervous the first time I switched both elements on together but there was no dimming of the streetlights or fuses popping so we're OK! I don't run the HLT at the same time as the kettle though.

The 2kW gives a very vigorous boil - I wouldn't want to run the 3kW once I've got up to boiling point.
Keep an eye on trademe for hot water heater elements. Today I wired up and tested my 2.4kw 20 litre HLT (Bucket of Death).
Yep as Steve said, tardme is the place!

I'm thinking of bringing in a fridgemate from CB as it can control a 20 AMP element (assuming 3kW is about 16 / 18 AMP) the I'll not have to muck around with solid state relays etc.

So back on topic, I put my porter onto 2 kilos of strawberries today.... I'm freaking a little as I didn't pasteurise them! The hydro sample (or two) was tried by four people and all of them liked it... felt bad adding the strawberries and setting it up for cocoa nibs and vanilla.... I'm hoping it is fantastic when finished!
Dont worry about a boster just switch it on as soon as you cover the element than about when run off is finished mine is sitting at 90-95 degrees and only takes 10 mins to hit boil.
What are you running Mike? 2.5kw?
3Kw in the Kettle and 2.5kw in the HLT.
after speaking to a plumber at work i put a 1.5 kw in the hlt and a 2 kw in the bk. way underpowered-as soon as i find some cheap 3 kw elements i'm going to replace them, they do the job as long as you don't mind waiting all day!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service