Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm back on the turps cos its the weekend.

So far tonight the inspirational Emersons Brewers Reserve Calamity Jane. Couldn't read the tap essay thanks to a busy pub so had to guess what it was as I drank it. First guess on aroma, something Belgian with a fruity slightly European nose. Couple of sips and decided it wasn't Belgian and got a lovely warm alcohol coupled with some dark chocolate and more dark chocolate with a some black cherries. Finishes with a nip of bitterness and some alcohol warmth.

Found out later it's a 6.5% Dunedin Brown Ale. Awesome drink Emersons and a great shout for a unique NZ Style. Recommend it.
I had the Emersons JP last week, that's a damn fine drop! Love those Belgium ales. Also got my hands on an Armageddon at the Malthouse. She's a beaut! I was expecting something a lot bigger as far as the hop aromatics go but it was so well balanced. Far too easy to drink...
Visited Rumbles last night for a look-see as he has some Mussell Inn available. Bought two unusual brews from the UK. A St Austell Brewery "Clouded Yellow" bottle conditioned wheat beer and a "Grozet" from the Williams Bros Brewing Co in Scotland. Both were in good condition and spritely. The Clouded Yellow was a refreshing drop. Not all that cloudy though!! It would would make a nice summertime quaff over lunch of bbq seafood. (I think I have SAD and need some sunshine)!!

The Grozet had goosbeerries in it and you could taste it!! Quite tart indeed. Altogether too unusual to drink again at almost a tenner. Both worth the try though.
Last night I headed to the Malthouse to get in on the Brew Dog action! Started off with a Paradox Smokehead (10%) - big whiskey aroma, massive smoky peat and roast malt flavour, then got distracted by a 9/07 vintage Hallertau Porter Noir (6.6%) - like a roasty Rodenbach grand cru! I decided to go on to the most hopped Brew Dog next - Hardcore IIPA (9%). Apparently brewed with 150IBU. Hops arent jumping out of the glass in the aroma, but when you taste it it grabs you by the collar and punches you in the tongue for the next 5 minutes with a ridiculous bitterness. HOLY!
Went more balanced next (after many glasses of water) with Brew Dog Chaos Theory IPA(7.1%) - perfectly balanced hops and malt big flavours - almost perfect. Go Nelson Sauvin hops!
Had to finish on a Hallertau Maximus (7.1%), I just can't go in the Malthouse and not have one!
A wonderful night, and many more to come with (this) man's new best friends.
JT's Puke Toru II (dark mild ale)... fantastic Sunday afternoon session ale. His diligent dedication to brewing regularly and his keenness to learn are showcased very well in this beer. Well done JT, and thank you for the bottle. One of the best low gravity beers I've had in a long time. I'd love to match a song but it's not a case swap beer so I'm drinking it with some afternoon Thomas the Tank Engine.
Sounds like the school report card I never got Stu. Really it's thanks to all the patient people out there that share their wisdom
That's your published domestic KC recipe with the extra crystal tweak and my substitutions (ADM for the MO and Caramalt and Medium crystal for the Pale Crystal)
I've noticed you use the pale crystal a bit, any particular reason - just your own taste preference ?
How's the P3 bottle, firming up - that SO4 takes some time eh
Some NZIPA glass hopped with 25g of NZ Cascade.

It was pretty mental aye.
My own Alphamax pilot thing thru my 'Bunnings Handpump' aka the weed sprayer thing you get there for $11. Miscalculated my bottle req's and had 2lt left over. Chicked it in a rigger and went to everyone's favourite DIY superstore - 'lowest prices are just he beginning...' has always made me wonder what comes next. Something bad probably.

Damn, beer thru a home made hand pump is smooth. The rest of my CS brown will be getting the same treatment I think
Last night:
Yeastie Boys "His Majesty 2009"
6.4%, 100% Nelson-hopped NZ IPA.

Just waiting on caps and labels now... probably should have organised them a bit earlier!!!
Thanks but they won't fit the bottle. It's a big bottle for a big beer.
Surely it a "Crown" seal though ;-)
Yeh, it is just larger than the average crown. ;-)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service