Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94604

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was very pleased to get some Torrified Wheat a few weeks ago from Brewers Coop. An ingredient I've been on the lookout for, for some time. Now waiting for next yeast order.

To check water and mash pH I used a borrowed pH meter and was horrified at the resulting readings. Have made adjustments to water & mash. Big, big improvement in the beer. I've been using strips since and will look out for a pH meter & test solutions in the future.
out of interest, where do people here who have used/use pH strips get them from? a quick google didn't pull up a lot of results where the strips would actually measure the correct range for beer. some saliva-testing strips went down to 5.0 but I would actually like some that go lower, because with wgtn's soft water, my guess is that some very dark beers go below that and if so, i would curious how much lower. hauraki homebrew maybe?
There's a specific brand that does a strip in the correct range and apparantly can be very accurate. google "colorphast strips brewing" and you should get a list of potential suppliers. I think craftbrewer.com.au might even have them.
I tried to get some once, but the online store that was happy to let me order them, use my NZ address and take my credit card details, emailed me back to say they didn't ship to this part of the world.
Geez, the lady could've just chucked them in the post but alas it wasn't to be.
Hydroponic supply stores might be worth a try too.
thx for the tips. i'd try craftbrewer but the last order i made never arrived and i am having difficulty getting a response to the question as to whether it was ever sent either. not sure if i want to throw more money in that direction.
I'm amazed, I've never been anything but impressed by Ross's service. Tried contacting him via private message (PM) on the aussiehomebrewer website?
I agree with Barry.

Both orders I've got pretty quickly and Ross has always been a good bloke.
I had trouble with a parcel taking a long time and looked into what needed to happen. Contrary to what you might be told, you should be able to check it traced or the sender should be able to make a claim.

http://www.auspost.com.au/pdfs/International.pdf

5.14.2 – Non-delivery
Australia Post accepts an enquiry or a complaint about non-delivery of an International Post article provided:
the applicant can describe the article and give sufficient lodgement details
sufficient time has elapsed to allow the article to reach its destination
the applicant can provide reasonable evidence that the article was posted and has not yet been
delivered
the applicant makes the enquiry within six months of the lodgement, or 30 days in the case of
Express Courier International or Express Post International - Parcels articles.
well i'm gonna to try one more time to email Ross and see if he can sort it, and hopefully if there's been an issue we can chk with auspost as JT suggests.

In the spirit of this thread however, i am hoping to do a quick and dirty Ordinary Bitter later this week, probably mostly pale with touches of crystal and amber, with lots of late goldings. then i have a super bitter IPA lined up, then two beers with wyeast 1338 - an alt and a blonde ale as previously discussed.
What about the blonde Ed ?

Took a hydrometer (taste) sample of mine last night. from 1.042 to 1.008 in 8 days at 22C and tasting quite blande. Hopefully once I get her all fizzy she'll perk up a bit
it's coming it's coming - i have taken the plunge and spent some money on a mill, contrary to stu's advice....but i got sick of not being able to just brew on a whim when my wife decides that she wants to watch a chick flick instead of something with broad appeal (is that a pun? broads being girls...). so once it arrives (maybe it is waiting for me at home right now!) i'll be into it. until then - a hiatus.
Good on ya Ed.

I also recently bought a Barley crusher. Used it for the first time in the weekend. It's great not having to worry about what grain I've got all the time.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service