Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

OK anyone think this beer will last longer or shorter than 24 months?

"Lion pins hopes on a mid-strength brew"

Society of Beer Advocates' Geoff Griggs says the move is a "logical extension of a very powerful brand" but questioned whether there would be much demand among thirsty Kiwis.

Full Story

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that Steinlager is about to confuse their customer base.

Steinlager Classic
Steinlager Premium Light
Steinlager Pure
Steinlager Edge

Too much choice. Do they all taste that much different?

What does the Steinlager brand now stand for? 5% 3.5% 2.5%

Stu, how much sizzle is left in mid strength, and low carb, low bitterness, and no flavour :-)
I think there is plenty of sizzle left to sell in this area. If you've been to australia in the last 5 years you will know how big the mid-strength thing is - almost every beer has a mid-strength little brother. People love to be sucked in by the new must have drink/food/diet/clothes. As the great Kurt Vonnegut would say (and the almost as great Tony Wilson would later quote): "So it goes".

The drop in excise/ingredients costs make this a huge potential earner. We're talking a 25% drop here. I bet the retail price won't be 25% less!

Strangely, in this instance, they do look a bit like they will be shuffling customers from one of their own drinks to another. Steinlager Pure probably smashed the Heineken dominance somewhat... one is as bland as the other and both are overpriced/overmarketed crap... but mid-strength does look to be the kind of beer that will swing Spring Tide and Pure drinkers.

Look for DB to follow very soon.
I agree completely Stu, even Eagle Heighs brewery had a mid strength bland crappy beer next to their oh so fantastic line up.. Was a bit of a shame in my eyes, but the guy said its one of their top sellers... Go figure :o(
DB did follow , or lead with Export 33, is that still around? did anyone actually drunk any?
Should it matter that they have several different beers that provide differing ABVs? And target a market?

If you put ears, a tail and whiskers on it would you call it Steinlager Weasel? Probably not unless you have a target market. The same applies for Epic, you target your market (or your own taste buds) and hope that others will buy the beer. Steinlager are using targeted marketing as a means to either increase or maintain their sales, makes sense in a pure marketing perspective and exactly what Stu is saying, they sell the sizzle.

PS I have not had a Steinlager since Blue was around, maybe worth trying an Edge and Pure just to see what its about.
What about Epic Mid strength?? Thatd be awesome IMO!!! At Mt Tamborine they had a 3.3% IPA and it was bloody awesome, still had a heap of flavour and hop aroma, but a nice modest ABV...

Show those fuckers at Lion how to make a real mid strength beer :o)
I totally agree, a beer that provides the full flavour at mid strength.... hang on that sounds like a marketing ploy....
Except this time it would be true James :o) In fact, I would probably buy mid strength epic alot more than I buy normal epic, just cos I could take a 6er to a bbq and still drive home... That to me is attractive, but no way will I compromise on flavour
But would Luke ever make a "mid flavour, full strength" beer?
Actually the Epic Pale Ale is going to be renamed Epic Light, and the Armageddon will become the new Mid-Strength Epic. I'll just have to get on with launching the full strength Epic
"I think that Steinlager is about to confuse their customer base."

Luke - if you believed this blog (see below), they would be confusing your customer base too!

"Steinlager Epic - New Mid-Strength Beer To Be Launched"
Hehe

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service