Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi folks,

After 3.5 successful extract-based batches (batch #4 is in the fermenter at the minute so I daren't claim it as fully successful yet!) I'm thinking that it will soon be time for The Next Step. I suspect it will be partial mash as I don't really (yet) have room for a pot big enough to boil a full batch volume. However, I intend to get to all-grain within the next few months.

I've done a fair bit of reading (How To Brew, numerous websites) and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed in terms of information on how to build the necessary equipment, more specifically a mash/lauter tun. A converted chilly bin seems to be the answer but I'm drowning in descriptions of manifolds, braided hoses, false bottoms and ball valves.

My budget is limited, but so are my DIY skills. Can anyone point me to a simple guide (or provide same themselves) with idiot-proof instructions along the lines of "go to this store, buy these items, cut this here, shove that pointy bit in there" etc.?

Many thanks,

Martin

Views: 415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem with bucket in bucket is that many people actually use two whole buckets - bad plan, cut the bottom couple of inches off the inner bucket and kust use it as a false bottom
What do you reckon to this:

That's the sort of amount of money I'd be prepared to pay for someone to do the hard work for me :) As long as it works......

Martin
Dunno yet, show us more eh ?
Where abouts are you Martin? on the North Shore no?
Welcome to eyeball my gear any time. Much easier to understand once you've seen it in the flesh.
I'm in Whangaparaoa.
Thanks Barry, I may well take you up on that sometime.
I'm sure there was a link there when I posted it! Trying again - this was the link.
I had the same problem posting my link above.

I would gladly make the manifold out of PVC as in that picture but where ever I've asked for suitable bits and pieces I get a blank look and directed to the copper.

Am I asking the wrong question or asking the wrong people (the likes of Chesters Plumbing Supplies)
You might have better luck at an electrical supplies store. Wires are ducted through PVC conduit so they will have all manner of elbows and joins.
This was my limited budget: http://morebeer.com/view_product/15631/

Before you scoff at the price, I'd rather have gone with: http://morebeer.com/view_product/15283/
Don't know if I agree with the second cooler Stu, you still have to heat your sparge water and then pop it in there. Is that a bit hit & miss with temps ? Would you be better off with an electric hlt with controller ?
Go the big roundy for the mashtun though and I do like the colour. last one I saw locally was $160 so it's pail and orange camping mat for now.

Still, looks very dinky having matching ones and buying from morebeer must be the go eh ?

go the bucket & pot breweries !
I fill up the HLT tun whenever I feel like it and there is no loss of temp over the 60-90min of mashing. To reach sparge temps (approx 75c) I use one 8L pot of boiling water and fill the rest with hot water from the tap.

They can double as a chilly bin on party days (I have put corny kegs in them and then filled with cold water and ice. Who needs a fridge on wheels? Not me.

I've also looked at them a few times and wondered about using a brand new one as a fermenter. I've never really thought it through... and it's probably not worth it. Fermenter has always been one of my areas of concern. Don't like the plastic buckets much - and even less so with one of those dodgy spigots in it.

Cheers
Stu
Go Stainless Conical Stu, you know you need to - then there'd be no excuse for not harvesting / washing yeast :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service