Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

like the pics Martin, hope Mrs B has a good stock of pantyhose !

I brewed the blonde this morning while Mrs T was off doing the Round The Bays Walk.
Ed, have you brewed your blonde yet or are you waiting for the carahell ?

Blonde tasting about ANZAC day maybe as a thought, which prompts - should we have another SOBA meet in Welly soon ?

cheers, jt
waiting for the carahell, mike says he's shipping it today, though i've also got a couple of other things i might do first. but anzac day could be good.
Mike from Brewer's Coop? Does he sell Carahell malt or are you getting the extract that he has there? Cheers.
Mike has some weyermann grains in.
From the price list
We are currently stocking the following:

Torrified Wheat
Weyermann Carahell
Weyermann Caramunich type 3
Weyermann Caraamber
Weyermann Carafa type1
Weyermann dark wheat
Weyerman roasted Wheat
Weyermann Carawheat
With the exception of the dark wheat, these malts have been discounted approx 30% on what we would currently charge and this will continue while stocks last.
Thanks JT, always forget to ask what he has when I'm down there, usually turn up with a recipe I plan on brewing so I don't worry about other malts.
Handbrewer's Imperial Amber
84% Maris Otter
11% Munich II
2.5% Pale Caramalt
2.5% Dark Crystal

A little Calcium Sulphate in the liquor.

OG 1.084.
100% Sauvin (60min and 15min) to 71 IBU.

US05 - two packets.

Interestingly, I had a Danish beer enthusiast come around and join me on brew day ("sunevdj" on ratebeer, if anyone wants to see what he thinks of kiwi craft beers - he's here for a few months and is writing a story on NZ beer scene for a Danish beer mag). Danish homebrewers call themselves neither "Amateur Brewer", nor "Non Commercial Craft Brewer", nor "Homebrewer". The term they use, and hence the name of yesterdays brew, is "Handbrewer".
I've just got a sack of marris Otter.

I was using the Aussie pale and had good results with every recipe as long as it was dark. Light beers suffered terribly from astringency (topic somewhere here) so I dropped it and went back to Marris Otter where I had no problems.

I did a trial with gypsum, which didn't work and a trial with a product called ph5 which did but left too 'burton' a flavour in the beer

I did like the Aussie pale for the recipes that worked though, it was like a blank canvas to paint your specialties and hops on and if I had my water treatment down pat would use again for sure
interesting that 5.5 didn't work jt, I've always been keen to try it. by "burton", was it unpleasant, or just not to your taste? can you describe the flavour - salty, minerally? did you measure the ph before and after - did it do it's prescribed job correctly?

Cheers
I haven't checked ph levels for any of my beers - so it's really unscientific to blame that on my bad batches, but after much trial & error that was my conclusion.

I once made a bold statement that I wasn't going to tinker with my water unless I did it properly - then I went & tinkered making some assumptions based on other peoples water additions.
Suprise, suprise, ph'ing big suprise - it didn't work - why don't I listen to myself

What did ph 5.2 do to my next batch ph-wise - phck knows, I didn't measure that either
What did it do to the flavour ? Well it was very sulphorous in the fermenter when used at the perscribed tablespoon rate. It lost that in secondary pretty much but the finished product - according to the tasting notes were "very much like Keirans 'burtoned ale' that I tried when he was in newtown'
Thanks.

Might not be the right malt for me, I usually go with amber and lighter. Might give Weyermanns Pilsner a shot after this sack.
Dunno DG, you won't have the same water as me, try a batch and see how it goes.
Yeah, might do a SMaSH brew with that and weyermanns and see how they come out.

Cheers and beers.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service