Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Here's a bit of an odd question, but I'd be really interested in any thoughts. We try to get out into the sounds as much as possible in the winter months when the B&B season is pretty much done - either sailing, or at the bach toiling to keep nature at bay.
But here's the thing. A bloke needs to take plenty of stock along in order to have the requisite couple of pints of an evening, especially if staying for a week. And good beer comes in good bottles, which means a lot of weight in the transport and a heap of bottles to cart back to dispose of.
Of course cans are an obvious answer in the sense that they weight much less and can easily be compacted completely for transport and disposal. BUT, the question is, what if any drinkable beers can one get in cans? I'm sure there must be something available, but I just can't think of any straight off.
I guess riggers are another way if you have your own brew on the go or have a decent outlet nearby and I do get beer from the Mussel Inn in riggers, and they are easy to get rid of when you're done with the drinking. (By the way, I had a couple of the Mussel Inn White Tigers these last couple of days. I know white tigers have had bad press lately, but the beer of that name really rocks).
Any ideas?

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I quite enjoyed the can I had around Christmas time .It's basically a very strong and rich lager. I've tried a number of these strong cans of beer and this would be my pick of the bunch. Some of them aren't so good and I find the effects of the high abv not as enjoyable as quaffing a couple of regular strength brews but they're quite good as a novelty. My suggestion would be to get one can as a sample first.
A friend bought me one of these a year ago whilst we were talking about the drinks that Scottish homeless people drink. We couldn't find any purple tin (Tennants Super) so he bought me Pirate and I got him Carly Super (I think). Anyway, long story short, drank half the can and poured the rest away. Horrible and sweet, like a malt syrup. Wouldn't recommend it unless you want to experience living la vida Sauchiehall street.
I see what youre saying about high alc brews, but when you get a quaffable high grav brew its so damn awesome!

like the colonial stout we had the other night, 11% but drinkable like a 4% brew! Yummo!
Yeah agree. It's only the super strength lagers that I have a problem with. Darker high-strength beers are great, though I have to admit one night a glass of La Trappe Quadrupel put me to sleep while I was still drinking it. Woke up with a big glassy, beery mess on the floor.
Yeah, there's high gravity beers brewed with love and then there's the super strength beers beloved by the homeless in Scotland (and probably other countries too I suppose) brewed with pounds of sugar.

Love the former, not a fan of the latter.
Haha, thats classic.. Yeh they can def make you tired after a hard day lol
When I go back home to visit the olds, and go to Wollworths to buy some booze, I walk past the lion red, db, monteiths, macs. I walk past all the 6 packs and boxes and grab some Excallibur, Some Gordon Finest Platinum and some Pirate.

I'd rather drink a can of that stuff than a 6 pack of any other shit at Wooly's.

I'm with you Christian.
Ah well, no harm in giving it a whirl what? I bought a can of DAB the other evening and poured it into a proper beer glass. It would certainly quench a thirst without too much offence, but definetely wasn't memorable and I broke out a Bookbinder to restore faith.
Last time I had a DAB it was firggin' awesome... at was at the end of a big few days drinking super IPA's, Imperial Stouts etc and it was just what the doctor ordered.  I find myself looking for beers like this more and more. And I'm also hearing people ask who in NZ is making beers like this (or less fruity classic pilsners like Budvar etc).

Love Bud!!!! Planning on cloning if once the yeast arrives (original pack got wasted by Aussies and the volcanic ash cloud). Triple docoction mash anyone?

Sorry to revive a really old thread.... I think that cans have the potential to be really cool! Check out the Surly Brewing Co in the States... I'd love to buy big cans of APA!

Practical question... Is getting a craft beer canned in NZ going to be an expensive operation compared to bottling?

Hi Stu,

I know you're referring to funky cans, but someone back then recommended I get some beers from Sawmill Brewery up north. I got a selection of them and I was delighted. The beer is great  and they use the best quality of cans, so there is no compromise there. Cans just have a bad rap from the old days of steel cans and bad quality cans which impart tastes.

Cheers,

Ian

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service