Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Here's a bit of an odd question, but I'd be really interested in any thoughts. We try to get out into the sounds as much as possible in the winter months when the B&B season is pretty much done - either sailing, or at the bach toiling to keep nature at bay.
But here's the thing. A bloke needs to take plenty of stock along in order to have the requisite couple of pints of an evening, especially if staying for a week. And good beer comes in good bottles, which means a lot of weight in the transport and a heap of bottles to cart back to dispose of.
Of course cans are an obvious answer in the sense that they weight much less and can easily be compacted completely for transport and disposal. BUT, the question is, what if any drinkable beers can one get in cans? I'm sure there must be something available, but I just can't think of any straight off.
I guess riggers are another way if you have your own brew on the go or have a decent outlet nearby and I do get beer from the Mussel Inn in riggers, and they are easy to get rid of when you're done with the drinking. (By the way, I had a couple of the Mussel Inn White Tigers these last couple of days. I know white tigers have had bad press lately, but the beer of that name really rocks).
Any ideas?

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Set up a brewery in remote locations and then you only need to carry the dry ingredients in. And you won't "sample" the kegs dry. I contemplated setting up a little locked up lager brewery at Carkeek Hut in the Tararua for a while. It is remote and not often visited (only the ultra fit could get there in a day - I'd struggle, even with my fitness at its best). You could have one hell of a prty there with 40L of Maibock that was fermented in autumn and lagered all winter.
I've heard a brewery down the road is looking at canning Ian... keep an eye out.
Hey Ian,

Not sure of your previous experiences but I am told that cans at sea tend to pit with rust and you end up with salt water in your beers, or no beer at all! ? Can't comment myslef though.
Greene King do a lot of their beers in cans. I haven't had them personally but considering their bottles are usually clear, they should be less light struck. Gales (Fullers) HSB was an awesome can, if you can find it.
A good can I had recently was Radeberger Pilsener. A classic German pils, done well. I've seen cans of Tücher Pils around too, but don't know what its like.
A can of Kilkenny can be refreshing, and Guinness too. If you like those sorts.
Thanks very much guys, loads of great feedback there. Bottom line - all is far from lost. Leigh Sawmill Brewery got back to me really smartly and I can order their stuff directly from them. The only downside is fairly hefty mail costs down to us (got to order enough to make it worthwhile and I'm not yet acquainted with their beers).
As for cans at sea, it's fine if you don't have them rolling about in the bilge with salt water. Or worse, a bit of diesel! Also, mine never lasts that long that the cans are able to degrade.
Your idea of brewing out in the wilderness is appealing Stu. Actually we have a corner where I could do that, so maybe it'll become a reality in time. I'd be interested in your local brewery when they start canning though.
I saw that the supermarket gets DAB in 500ml can sometimes. I seem to remember having one once and it was pretty drinkable - how do you rate it?
Sometimes they used to keep Windhoek Lager from Namibia and since that used to be a German colony way back when, the beer is still brewed to the Rheinheidsgabot standard and carries that on the bottle/can.
Cans and clear bottles... everyone has an opinion. The best clear bottled beer I remember drinking was a Coniston Bluebird. It was shipped all the way from the UK but boy was it good. I can't put my finger on a great canned beer but I've had a few ok ones - they always seem to be mid-quality pale lagers, pilsners or UK ales (milds, bitters and the odd stout).
Arrrrr, ye wants to be gett'n some of this thar Pirate Beer for ye sail'n trip!
Yeah - that stuff isn't half bad. Then there is Crest and all that strong stuff too... I drink that over Lion Red, Speights and most of all Export Gold.
Hi Christian, that's quite amazing because I saw that the supermarket locally had that beer in when I was there yesterday but I was dubious in case it was crap with a gimmicky label. What's it like?
I found it to be awful. A sweet, metallic malt liquor.
Here here me hearty! There are easier ways of getting drunk than trying to suck down a can of Pirate.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service