Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Here's a bit of an odd question, but I'd be really interested in any thoughts. We try to get out into the sounds as much as possible in the winter months when the B&B season is pretty much done - either sailing, or at the bach toiling to keep nature at bay.
But here's the thing. A bloke needs to take plenty of stock along in order to have the requisite couple of pints of an evening, especially if staying for a week. And good beer comes in good bottles, which means a lot of weight in the transport and a heap of bottles to cart back to dispose of.
Of course cans are an obvious answer in the sense that they weight much less and can easily be compacted completely for transport and disposal. BUT, the question is, what if any drinkable beers can one get in cans? I'm sure there must be something available, but I just can't think of any straight off.
I guess riggers are another way if you have your own brew on the go or have a decent outlet nearby and I do get beer from the Mussel Inn in riggers, and they are easy to get rid of when you're done with the drinking. (By the way, I had a couple of the Mussel Inn White Tigers these last couple of days. I know white tigers have had bad press lately, but the beer of that name really rocks).
Any ideas?

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Leigh Sawmill Brewery is canning now - they're worth a drink.

Also if you go to that supermarket in Blenheim, you should find cans of Speckled Hen, Abbot Ale, Wexfords etc. I've had these from the can and was mroe than impressed.
Leigh Sawmill do most of their beers in cans, I think theyre a great idea!
Cans have a lot going for them in terms of packaging - no light permeability, good airtight seal etc. However, they have an image of poor quality, which will take some time to get over. It's a bit like when vineyards started putting wine under screwcaps.

The only craft brewery I know of that does cans is Leigh Sawmill, and they're definitely worth a go.
Good comments those, I'll try Leigh Sawmill, thanks Joking and Reviled - I don't know their beer at all. The kind Joking mentions are usually the cans with widgets in them if Im not mistaken and I hadn't thought of those although I have tried them in the past.
I think you are right Martin, when I think how we rebelled at the idea of screw top wine bottle and now if I reach for a bottle of wine and it is corked it pisses me off! But true, I remember my young days of beer drinking they had steel cans and if you forgot the can opener (the type they used for oil cans to make a hole in each side) you were a bit screwed and ended up mutilating the can with belt buckles and rocks etc. But you were quite the bloke if you could fold one over with two slick grips of one hand! Those cans imparted a bit of a 'tinny' taste though, but nowadays cans and can coatings are pretty perfect.
Thanks for thoughts.
My mate has a place in the Coromandel which requires walking into in the winter, the last minute supermarket can option is Hollandia and or Bavaria, both pretty average but better than NZ Duopoly beer, bavaria the better of the two.
Hugh, I agree entirely with your comments about Bavaria and Hollandia; it's just a pity Foodstuff's (the parent company of New World / Pak 'N Save / Four Square) is just about to stop importing all the Bavaria brewery beers - and that includes the La Trappe abbey range!!!

If you're looking for decent canned beer in Blenheim, I recommend Radeberger Pilsner. It's available at FreshChoice Springlands, Redwood SuperValue, Renwick SuperValue and Blenheim New World. The latter has the 500ml cans at $2.89 each.
I rate all those German Import Pilsners Including Warsteiner (although not in a can) soley because of the Reihnheinskebootsteinerburgersheizerwurst. It doesn't matter that they have less flavour than Epic and such the like - it's the fact that no sugar is added that appeals to me.

The moral of the story is... if you can find a German import beer in a can - it's gotta be good.
Typical, mind you its pretty sad that beer has to travel that far and is still better than most available options. NZ is the land of pretty shit beer on average. and we grow all this great beer making stuff in paddocks. Speaking of which, Geoff, can I get RAD-eBurger in Auckland? Otherwise I will be lugging glass up hills.
NZ is the land of pretty shitty beer, allthough on the craft brew side of things id say ours comes out on top over Aussie craft beers...
I'm pretty sure Radeberger is imported by Delmaine (who also bring in Clausthaler, DAB and Schoefferhofer)...

http://www.delmaine.co.nz/products.cfm?prod_type_id=169

And yes, I did spot the so-called DAB "Ale"!!! It's so sad that even the importers can't get it right.
Victoria park, new world; Mt. Eden, wine cellar; Forrest hill, liquorland. Most descent outlets, I have found.
Geoff, they are cancelling La Trappe? Do you know when, I need to stock up on Tripel:) not overly exciting beers but IMO certainly decent and at very decent prices.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service