Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Still playing guessing games with every brew so would be very keen to hear your thoughts from good to bad with improvements along the way.

5KG Pale Malt
0.6KG Crystal 40L
16 gm Southern Cross for 60 mins
20 gm Imp Cascade for 30 mins
30 gm Imp Cascade for 15 mins
35 gm Imp Cascade for 10 mins

Single Infusion Mash. Held at 67.8 c for 60 mins
Batch Sparged..

None left..Really enjoyed it as did Dylan who sank the keg !!! Have just done another with 100gm willamette for hopping during fermentation and in keg

Thx again

Views: 81

Replies to This Discussion

Nice one, Ged. I really enjoyed your beer.

Nice aroma of citrus and cystal malt, with a hint of stonefruit (from the yeast?). Great appearance - nice head, lovely colour and clarity.

The hop flavour dominates initially, then malt sweetness, and a lingering, grassy, teeth-scraping bitterness - I think this was the sharpness that Stu referred to. I found the beer more balanced once it warmed up - the caramel came out a bit more and the bitterness was more rounded.

Well brewed and very tasty, but I'd prefer a bit more hop flavour and aroma, a smoother bitterness, and a bit less crystal malt. Not necessarily flaws in your beer, but more of a reflection of how I like my pale ales (my APA doesn't have any crystal malt in it).

Cheers
I really like this. I have a beer fermenting right now that I hope turns out anywhere near this good. Looks great tastes awesome. Loved it. I love hoppy beers and struggle to make my own so... RESPECT!!
Yummy orange marmalade, mmm mmm.
Thx heaps for the feeback guys..I got to admit, this is the best beer I've done so far out of around 5 AG's....Lady luck has a lot to answer for so think I'll start to get a bit more scientific now and follow the recipes until I understand whats what
Don't get too scientific... I was a golfer, back in the day, and anyone who got too scientific ended up "chopping it". Keep it simple when planning, be careful and thoughtful on brew day, and enjoy great beer.
Keep it simple when planning, be careful and thoughtful on brew day

... and take some notes ?
It'll help next time round
or post them on here and go back to them later...
Pours two finger loose head that turns extremely rocky, cloudy and sticky, can tell the lace on this will be good. Dark gold in colour with slight haze.

Citrus, a touch of grapefruit and pine needles. A strong sweet creamy caramel aroma comes through subtly, doesn't make sense eh? Some peach/apricot-like fruit as well.

Caramel comes through nicely in flavour and is supported well by a lingering fruity bitterness. Some orange hop flavour there too. Some crunchy, crust, biscuit, maltiness as well.

Medium body, slightly over medium carbonation, it is a touch minerally in bitterness but not unpleasant but would hold me back from drinking copious amounts...actually it probably wouldn't.

Very nice beer, I'd be tempted to cut back the crystal or up the flavour hops, or maybe both. Maybe drop 200g crystal and swap out with some amber/biscuit/victory type malt to keep the maltiness there but it may accentuate the hops a bit more. Dry hopping would also help. But it's not far off the mark, no need to make it an IPA. I still can't get over the sticky bitch of a head she's got, especially for a simple malt bill, it's like a freakin' liquid candy floss sponge or something haha.
Poured this when it was cool, but not cold. Pours very clear, very little yeast sediment in the bottle. Did you bottle this from a keg or was it primed in the bottle?

This is very tasty!. Quite nutty, I suspect you've used Maris Otter pale?? Has a lovely aroma and initial sweetness with a lingering bitterness.

Like some of the previous posters I'd suggest you consider cutting back on the crystal to let the hops come through. But hey.. it's a beauty

I punched your recipe into beersmith so I could estimate the IBU's. Comes out at 47 BTW.

I could drink a lot of this...
Hi mate...Pale malt was from Gladfields - just outside Christchurch ( via wigrams brewery). It was bottled from the fermenter and a couple of sugar drops stuck into each bottle..The remaing 10 litres made the keg and was soon finished...I'm playing around with your suggestions to get more hop aroma and flavour in there. Glad you enjoyed it...Ged

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service