Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Looking for some 30 mesh to make a hop strainer for my boiler. Spoke to a guy in AK who wanted $89+GST and delivery for a 1m2 piece...seemed more than a bit expensive to me!
Any advice gratefully received. My plan is to make one of these fellas. strainer clicky

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah stainless is expensive aye, where abouts are ya mate? I have a mate in welly who can get stuff like this at cost price..
I'm in Welly! hey it can be copper mesh as well..
Just spoke to my mate, the thinnest he can get is 24 guage, do you want me to get a price?
Yes please with jam on!
Anything doing Reviled?
Ive emailed him bud, but havnt heard back yet, ill call him today for ya :o)
The brewing community in this country is second to none. I salute you!
Why not just use the stainless steel wool (pot scrub without the soap) attached to the end of your pick up tube? Denimglen has a photo in his blog of his keggle with this set up.

Denimglen: if you are looking how effective is your copper wool?
I wouldn't make or use one of those hop strainers unless you are using some flowers in every boil. From various brewers I've heard you will have mad clogging.

For the same reason I wouldn't really recommend what I'm using either.

I'm bagging my hops so I don't really have any dramas with the wool (but I can say from experience that I would without the bag). I use the wool because I was having some problems with some grain particles slipping through my FB and ending up in the boil and eventually clogging my plate chiller, so my wool is really only there to stop big hunks of break or the odd stray grain particle.

And yeah, 90+gst is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.
It's not flowers, its ground up pellets...after hand bloody sieving the stuff through a grain bag - yes I waited for it to settle, yes whirlpooled it, maybe I'm just impatient - I don't want to be doing that again, and the good folks of Jim's Beer Kit recommended the solution in the link I provided as something that demonstrably worked. But ninety bucks? get out of town! these boys are based in the UK and are quite a bit cheaper...but I wanted to buy local you know?
Have a look at my blog on here and the system I'm using with a hop bag. It's a very large bag so the hops get to move around. Also see the last photo with my trub, no hops in it at all. The bag is made of theat Swiss Voile stuff sown into a bag.
As ive mentioned before all I use is a SS scrubber ringclipped to the back of the tap, ive had the same one there for nearly 2 years now, and never taken it off, ive also said previously that using some hop flowers in the boil aids in the filtering and helps to stop clogging of the scrubber and ive always had a clear runoff this way.
Lately ive run out of flowers and are using pellets only, (7-8 brews) I havent had a stuck runoff yet but hop bits from the pellets do come out in the last 2-3 litres, I made an Ipa a while ago with around 400 grams of pellets in the 28 litre boil, it ran off nice and clean, I had to stop eventually and was left with about2-3 litres of shit in the bottom which usually if using flowers i,d tilt the kettle and strain it through.

Ive had a stuck runoff a handful of times a couple of years ago with the scrubbers when using only pellets, never when flowers are in the boil, for some reason im not getting it now using only pellets, dunno why, maybe cause I skim alot of the protein from the hotbreak.

Go the scrubbers!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service