Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sweet as cheers mate, I think ill just leave it and take taste testers as time goes and crash it when I reach a good level of sweetness as I dont want it fully dry... Its definately too sweet to drink as is IMO...

Didnt realise it was so easy to make non-alcoholic GB, like, really piss easy! You can make it up and be drinking it the next day (if you have kegs)
Yeah it's awesome huh, waaaaaaay easier than beer! And cheap too, commercial stuff works out about 20X more expensive.
the first ginger beer we did was straight into bottles which was definintely interesting. they didn't expolode but we got a lot of fountains when opening them haha.
the second time we fermented them in 2L plastic bottles (with ginger and lemon solids) for a week then bottled and filtered into 500mL glass bottles, this turned out great. nice and fissy, sweet and decently alcoholic.
The Batch we're doing now is going to be interesting. Ferment to roughly halfway (after the majority of the rapid ferment has occurred), and then transfer into a cube to carbonate and condition. the plan is to drink this in one day (21L should be interesting haha), or we could reprime and bottle
we've also found that adding some dark cane sugar or muscuvado sugar goes real well, adds body and a nice sweetness to the beer. we leave the grated ginger and rind solids in during ferment then filter for priming/bottling. I think we'll look at using yeast nutrient next time as well cheers.
And oh yeah, we use good old edmonds bakers yeast, does the trick :S
Fuck man, they were pretty close to exploding though! You'd pop the cap open and it'd go "boom!" and the whole thing would fountain like diet coke & mentos... but yeah, fermenting part of the way then filtering gives it a nice flavour. It's so easy to make too, god-damn.
lol, it cracks me up that there is a process to just bottle it and crash cool when you want it to stop fermenting :o) haha, imagine if we were all taught to make beer this way
I'm not so much brewing this as drinking it, but Glynn asked for the recipe, so I'll oblige. Hopefully there's enough left for Kempicus to drink before he flies out, since I did brew it for him. It just tastes so damn good.

Yes, Joking, this is the cloudy nightmare you saw fermenting, and yes, your gelatin regime did clear it right up. It tastes fantastic!

Recipe Specifications - Formfiller Pale Ale
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 25.97 L
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Measured O.G: 1.050 SG
Measured F.G: 1.009
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.6 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.60 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.20 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.90 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.90 %
7.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] (30 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
50.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle US Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.10 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 13.30 L of water at 71.9 C 65.6 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.51 L of water at 93.5 C 75.6 C

Notes:
------

Second round (this recipe) Dry hopped with 25g Amarillo, 35g Cascade, 25g Chinook for 7 days at 16C.
I'm really looking forward to it! :0)
I'm glad that it worked for you my brewing brother! How the hell was NIN? And isn't that US-05 the curry?
NiN was excellent, though I don't think I've ever seen so much emo in one place. I'm still undecided on the US-05. I'm building a stirplate this week (yep, I went for it) and will culture up your yeast to see how that goes in the next batch.

My biggest problem at the moment is that all my kegs are full! I have (for Kempicus' drinking pleasure) That porter you tried, the APA, and a batch of ordinary bitter which at first taste was looking like a winner. I also have a stout and another batch of bitter in fermenters for my dad's 60th on the 18th of March. And I just have one free keg! I'm fairly confident the APA at least will be gone by the time I want to keg the stout, but she's a tricky one. I need to make sure there's enough APA left to satisfy the monstrous beer-love of the Kempinator, and not so much left it can't be drunk in short order to free up a keg. There's no way I'm tipping it out!
I'm kicking myself that I didn't get along to NiN, especially since it seems they will never be seen again.

I'd be interested in your stirplate adventures Greig - getting quite keen on the idea myself.

Martin
You guys should have gone Iron Maiden instead, 40 bucks and choice as!
$40??? I DID go to Maiden, but paid $120.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service