Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You will probably a replacement "bell" for it, as I have the same issue!
oh o.k. that makes sense where to you think, how would i go about getting on of them? my brother has one of those old style base and lever arm cappers which works a treat.
Well, I ended up using Nottingham in the end cos it was easy, and I tasted a sample last night, grav is at 1020 and its definately bitter :o) Im happy, my experiment's worked.. Now ill be able to more accurately formulate recipes without them all being excessively bitter, allthough some still will of course ;o) haha

Quite alot of fruity esters from the nottingham, I dry hopped it this morning and will keg early next week..
So what was the OG and IBU to get bitter from Nottingham ? I found it a damned hard thing to do in my few attempts
Any other perceptable hop character ?
It was a bit of an experiment like I said, OG 1050 and if my calcs are correct counting the FO as a 15 min addition, about 47 IBU's..

In saying that, I found that it was quite lacking in hop aroma and flavour, the fruity esters were really dominating, so hopefully dry hopping with fuggles will earth it up a bit..
Yea, that's what I found - OG 41 IBU 31 - some bitterness but no flavour

http://realbeernz.ning.com/profiles/blogs/1500433:BlogPost:1061
I think it would be really nice in a Porter or stout, maybe not in a hoppy beer tho
I have a lever capper available if you guys want it. (the two handled one)
Spent this week buying grain so i can brew my PKB clone over the weekend, Stu, hope you don't mind me not only ordering from Dunedin Malthouse but also half inching your PKB recipe and modifying it. Anyhow, to be brewed on Sunday I think, the Black Francis

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Muntons Light Extract (10.0 SRM) Extract 78.97 %
0.44 kg Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.02 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.52 %
0.13 kg Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 2.95 %
0.09 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.97 %
0.07 kg Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.57 %
60.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.20 %] (90 min) Hops 40.5 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
25.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
15.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

Going to pitch my recycled S05 yeast, some of which did me a treat on my american barleywine. Looking forward to brewing this one
Are you planning to 'mash' the Munich Malt? it looks as if your going an extract/steeping recipe, but im pretty sure that you need to mash Munich malt. Just a thought...
Hey bud you know the recipe for the home brew version is on the what am I brewing pages from malt, even down to the hopping schedule.
Going to do a mini-mash with the munich etc.

Yeah, i saw the AG receipe on there but then got beersmith to modify it to a partial since I've not got my skill level up to doing an AG quite yet. Had to change the hopping schedule a bit too, to suit what I've got in stock. Hopefully will still be good

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service