Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have brewed many styles over the years both professionally and amateur. During the early years there were two beers, hailed by so called critics, - low hopped, high alcohol (7-7.5%alc/vol) cloying, pineapplely, sweet finish, but immensley quaffable, they were Roosters Haymaker and Ngahere Gold, and somethng else brewed by the Cooper inpsired Dux de lux beers, brewed using 100% lager malt, lager yeast, at 15 degrees celsius, filtered with DE filters and force carbonated and served within three weeks of brewing. Well until today I didnt give that style much credence until i tasted a bottle of Harringtons Ngahere Gold. Wow oh wow. Whoever is the master brewer of this needs a thumbs up from all professional brewers. The hop bite is awesome! Gone is the sweet cloying beer of old, phoenix like the new beer bursts through with that higher alcohol punch but with it you get that awsome hop punch to balance the alcohol and weighty lager within.

This is an honest beer. Its not pretending to be something its not. Higher alcohol, lager, smooth, some bite . End of story. No aspirations of grandeur here guys! Awesome beer by a bloody good brewer. Well done Harringtons. And to the brewer responsible - Slainte. Gold medal in a class of its own.

Father O'Leary

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah you see I wasnt blowing foam....... The batch previous was good but not as really really good as the 5/12/09 for some reason. They might even be the same batch just bottled/treated in a different way? I've got hold of Carl and Mark at Harringtons so hopefully they'll review their brew records and see what the magic was.

Um on a side note I sampled the same brewery's new Weissbier..... lets just say it will keep me on my toes.... I'll say no more!

Chris
I must say it's interesting to hear from brewers what beer they like and what they've been drinking other than they're own!
And that they do actually drink beer other than their own, unlike the idiots at Bud ;oP lolz
Yeh, yeh!! I expect nothing less from the brew geeks down at Emerson's. There's a reason those two fellas heading the brewing operations are legends of New Zealand brewing and it ain't all from sampling their own product (though I know there is a vigorous amount of testing that they must struggle through on their own).

I'd love to hear more about the beer from Carl and Mark. C'mon guys. What malt, hops, yeast?

I've still not got my hands on any 05/12/09 but I am looking...
Hi Guys, Thanks very much on your comments much appreciated and humble. We are using Gladfeild Malt only Hopping with Green Bullet, Styrian Golding, Motueka and Hop at the Cast. Lager Yeast under Strict Temp Control and Diacetyl with pH adjusting at the Kettle. Pasteurisation is also most important and getting it right has been on going because it has a finished influence on the end product, however our Tony running our Bottling Line is doing a fantastic job.Thanks again , always enjoy the positives. Cheers for now Mark ( Yt )
It still warms my cockles reading the massive up's the Chris Posted above.

Good on you Chris.

Big ups for honesty. I would never had tried this beer if it wern't for you - and it was a treat from start to finish. As the beer warmed up, the hoppy characters started to show themselves - and the glass transformed. I reckon it was indeed a classic.

Thanks for posting on this forum, and keeping us up to date with the goings on at Emersons Brewery, and for inspiring other people in the brewing fraternity.

Cheers.
So after reading all the comments on this post i grabbed three bottles, one for me and two for a mate that did me a favour....he loves lagers....anyway i've gotta say after drinking it i don't get what the hype is about i found it to be a cross between a high strength Steinlager and a smooth version of a 'super skol'. I dunno maybe there was an 'obvious' capping issue with it that i'm not aware of but now i'm wondering....do i give the two bottles to my mate and risk never getting a favour again....i did love the non-PC label though….Czechoslovakian Saaz hops, brilliant!
Too much hype again bud? :o)
Where did you get yours from Kempicus, to me they seem as elusive as a Paradox in Thorndon!!
Hamilton Wine Company, last minute decision to visit the relies over the long weekend
Have you tried Moore Willies?
Nah forgot about that place!! I try not go there as It can get expensive!! you end up picking up lunch, dinner, utensils to cook dinner, beer, beer glasses than breakfast for the next morning oh and a coffee for the ride home!!!
Yeah i love it too....the new part is great! :0)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service