Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I've come across my first real sign of a recession. My brother, a dedicated drinker of good beer (NZ craft beer and Belgians from Regionals mostly), has started buying Stella or Becks because he's on a budget. This is not an accasional "craft" beer drinker. This guy drinks good beer all the time, almost every day. If he was a bit tight in the past he'd drink Mac's at worst...

I think the next couple of years are going to be really hard for craft breweries. We're likely to lose a few. How's the recession going to affect your drinking habits?

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I added up how much I've spent on beer in the last few years (or just the last few weeks for that matter) - I think most people would be horrified. But it is my passion. Some people like to spend their funny on some big screen flat TV and Sky, I prefer to drink new and great beers. The only thing that can restrict my spending is the availability of it.

Those who buy a beer just because it is cheap - I wonder why they drink beer at all. Surely a 2L bottle of Coke is cheaper, and is probably a similar mix of sugar and carbonation.

So craft brewers and good pubs, don't fear - The GrandMaster will continue to do his bit to prop up the industry. And in future years, it will have a run-off effect, supporting medical research into severe liver dysfunction!
http://www.johnhealeymp.co.uk/News_-_Wentworth_Brewery

Read the above link about what the government did in the UK; this was my local brewery who actually got their product into the parliament bar! Good way to ensure publicity! This is what is needed as mentioned in this thread.
The Brewers Build of NZ, despite their rather static website, is working on a plan regarding this. There has also been talk about it on the SOBA mail list (in regards to SOBA putting forward a proposal and/or supporting the Guild).
You can buy Epic and Emerson's in the NZ Parliament bar as far as I remember. They had a remarkably good selection that I helped drink the one time I was invited!!
It's not touching my drinking habits. I'll continue to drink my homebrew primarily, and have at least one night out (Fridays at the RCC) a week. Unless I get fired for, you know, typing forum posts when I should be working...
Oh, and I'll also be buying more good beer than I can really afford from Hamilton Wine Company, and The Beer Store. Yay for our brewers and retailers/bar owners who "get it". They get my dollars in good times and in bad.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service