Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey, so my flatmates went out to Gladfield Malt in Dunsandel on the weekend; ended up being a really good trip for them, and now we have a steady cheap supply of NZ Pale Malt, so we're passing the savings on to YOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!

But anyway. He said he'd be happy if we supplied the local christchurch homebrewer market with his malts—i.e, we can be the ChCh distributor of sorts—so at the moment we'd be looking at around $2 a kg of pale malt, which saves having to drive 45mins out there. Theres that way, but more interestingly, we could always just chip in together and go out there with a trailer and pick several bags up. Have a good yarn with him, and then we have a corny-mill back here which I'm sure you all could use... but whatever.

Also he does pilsner malt, but I don't know what the cost of that is. I'll find out some-time :)

Some other things learnt from the trip: next year he's expanding production to produce specialty malts!

Views: 697

Replies to This Discussion

gidday, I am new the all grain brewing world and would be real keen to get in on this NZ Pale Malt business. How would I best achieve this.
If you want to get into a bulk grain purchase, then the best thing is to hit up HerrSchnapps about a bulk order!!!!

HS, how about we look at a Febrewery order as I'm probably going to order my Crank&Stein in the next week.....
Quick question, is Gladfield malt the same as ADM?
No. ADM is in the North Island and supplies most NZ major breweries.
It's New Zealand malt though? So it must at least be grown, and possibly malted in SI.
I know it's distributed in Auckland by David Cryer.

You're saying it's a totally different supply/grower/malting?
Yeah. ADM is NZ Malt - they use it in brews like "Haagen" and "Ranfurly". I'm not 100% sure - but independant use it in most of their brews. They order specific colours and such the like, and ADM (no longer known as ADM BTW) will kiln to order. What is available to us is "reject" colours as they dont match any of the brews that independant contract to.
You'll probably find they (Gladfields) are found in Wigram and Twisted Hop too.
Both are NZ malts -
Gladfield is malted in Canterbury.
ADM (formerly known as IMC) is malted in Marton (I believe).

Tuatara is one place that use (or have used) both malts. Gladfield in the darker beers and ADM in the pale beers, when I last spoke to Carl.
Hey guys - Emersons use a lot of Gladield malt - I think Bookie especially. Three Boys do also as well as the award winning Invercargill - Biman is Gladfields - Steve & I visited Doug late last year. Harringtons have it by the pallet load too.

If sorting a bulk deal is too hard - Sean the brewer at the Twisted Hop said they would be happy to sell grain for $2.50 a kg so that may be an easier way of doing things. If he denys it - remind him that he told me...!!!!

Cheers.....Craig
Yep..Martin at the hop said they would sell grain to homebrewers...Only issue is lugging 20 KG of grain back to the office in my suit...Never a good look covered in dust :)
It's not the cost of the grain, or the weight of the sack, or the dust when you get it from the TH... it's being unable to leave the place....

It's like wigram, you go to get 10kg of malt and leave with malt, hops, yeast, and 1/2 dozen bottles..... and a little tanked....
It's half the fun of getting malt... think of it as a, ahh, 'research' trip. Yes, thats right, I'm off to Wigram to buy ingredients and... 'research', their brewing...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service