Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys

Whats the chemical name for Caustic Soda? I was looking at drain cleaner in the weekend for a heavy duter keg cleaner but none of em said Caustic Soda, I think from memory Sodium Hydroxide seemed to be a popular one, is this is?

Views: 1544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Google is my friend, did a quick search and found that Caustic Soda is Sodium Hydroxide :o)

Do you guys use this stuff? How much do you use? Dilute x? amount with x? amount of water??? Then rinse the living crap out of it?
Yes. Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH). My wife uses it for soap making.

Some drain cleaners include other chemicals (e.g. Draino) that you may not want. Look at the label for the percentage of NaOH.

EDIT: I don't use it for brewing puposes.
What chemicals do I want to avoid? And I obviously want the highest percentage of NaOH (whatever that is :oP)

Also, Mr Cherry, does your wife use Pure Caustic Soda for making soap? If so, where can I get some of that?
You can get a 500g container of Tergo Drain Unblocker from M10 for approx $10 (one year ago). It's 100% NaOH. You can get it cheaper by buying in bulk from RD1 (5kg for $30, Ecolab brand).

As Nick said it's caustic as hell. My wife dresses up like a Storm Trooper when she handles it.
Sweet cheers mate
I used to get if from a pool shop.
Careful with it though, it comes in a powder, generates a heap of heat when you add water, it will destroy aluminium and melts skin if too strong.
Yup, dangerous stuff, be careful.

How dirty is the keg? Beyond the Napisan/PBW soak?
Nah not really, Napisans been working really well for me, so I guess I should just be happy with it...

Just thought that Caustic might make it easier?
Here is one for you mate - dish wash machine powder has a bit of caustic in it amongst other things. I've been using it to get rid of yeasty scum build ups and it works a treat; plus it is dirt cheap. It is easy to rinse off and leaves all surfaces fresh and clean. Plus you can get it unscented.
Yeah I'd only use NaOH as an absolute last resort, if it's not washed away thoroughly and quickly it will pit your stainless and other metal gear.

Even dishwashing powder can do this, forgot I had some sitting in an Ali pot and came back later and it was discoloured and pitted.
You should have built up your arm muscles from all the brews you have done, and sampled to be able to scrub the keg pretty well!!
I found washing soda (Sodium Carbonate) works really well on glass FWIW. Just soak it for a few hours and the dead yeast falls off. You can get it at the supermarket, it comes in a little box.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service