Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Can we get Conan yeast in NZ. If so whats it calling its self.

Views: 2027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I may have to take back that halving every month another calculator pushed that out to over 2 months. Which makes Davids idea look workable. Can anyone put a more accurate figure on the half life of yeast viability, harvested from starter stored in jar in serving fridge?

Get some of these      http://www.labwarehouse.co.nz/Glass-bottle-screw-cap--borosilicate-...   they also have 1L ones perfect for lager yeast repitch etc

Make a 2L starter, pitch 4/5ths of that into an 11L carboy with about 7-8L wort/dme etc (i normally use wort from left over mash, often add another 1kg of malt)  

Repitch the 1/5th you kept into another 2L flask......

So now after harvesting the 8L carboy you end up with 4 x 250ml of yeast and also a 2L starter....

these 250ml harvests are good for about 2 weeks as is, after that do a starter with them. Label well so you know gen,  you can taste infection while doing FG tests etc, turf the upwards yeast.

Exception is lagers, I keep splitting the yeast after a brew into two more the same size, until you reach 50L ferments , then I just split and fridge it in 1L bottles.  I wont repitch a 50L batch until a bottle is semi carbed and passes a taste test

I ALWAYS buy 1kg of DME with every new yeast pack,  swap yeast with mates who do this.

simplest solution as i dont have yeast sotrage, is when you get your smack pack, (i brew 20L) is to make a 2L starter and let that go. then split into 2 jars.

then when you make your beer you iether pitch direct from 1 jar or make your starter accordingly from the jar.

then you've got good yerast sitting for another pitch/starter later on. especially helpful when you have to dryhop etc. (im not a fan of hop bags etc.)

I need a bigger flask. I'm having to push up OG of the starter to high just to make pitching rate without having anything to store.

Conan or WLP095 Burlington Ale should be pretty good in best bitter aye? That's probably going to be the first thing I brew after I've had time to order, then back to IPAs. I know WY1318  would prob be more appropriate there. Might brew something along the lines of Armageddon tomorrow but if I do that will have to be a repitch on lager yeast as thats all I got. Wish I had ordered something better now but the lager repitch worked out pretty good for my left over simcoe and citra IPL.

Now, I know you generally use lager yeast, but what about using something dry? 

The British ale from mangrove jacks might be a good option, especially for dtronger beers.

of just M44? (high pitch rates of course)

Na with the odd exception I avoid lager yeast and have been too cheap to pay for liquid (although I think I will find a house strain or 2 and start storing and harvesting ) so generally use US-05. The extent of my lager brewing 2 pilsners the slow way, 2 schwarzbier the fast way (kegging the second tomorrow) and 1 IPA that I pitched onto some of the first schwarzbier yeast cake just because I had it and called it an IPL.

I live in Napier so my options for popping to the shop and grabbing a yeast for tomorrows brew are limited to S-04 (I can't remember what I thought of it but folks say it strips hops and can have weird esters) and US-05 (I'm a bit over it) and I suspect very old stock of both.

I'm leaning towards WLP095 Burlington Ale for the house strain but perhaps WY1318 is more versatile. WLP007 is coming a close 3rd.

S-04 can work well, if you keep esters in check.

Had good results with a low start, and inching as below. Just be sure to over pitch if your doingthis (dont ask about acetylaldehyde)

17.2 24 hours

18.4 24 hours

20    24 hours

22 remainng

that from memeory.

minimal esters, some hops get stripped, but that expected with high floccing characterful yeasts

Actually,,,,, what about WLP013? White Labs London Ale?

anyone used it?

I have just taken WLP006 Bedford Bitter off stir plate,

going into a Bombardier clone, complete with dark sugar syrup....

Remember pints at the luxurious Wetherspoons in Tooting 

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale is another cracking yeast which fits the bill for a great house yeast. Very versatile and clean (at lower temperatures) and doesn't get in the way of hops at all. Worth looking into.

I recently brewed an IPA with it that was delicious 

How about 1332  Northwest Ale? Anyone got an opinion on it vs WLP090 vs 1272 vs WLP007

All the comparisons I could find with WY1318  London Ale III an conan preferred 1318 so its in the lead now

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service