Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I brewed my first pilsner a few weeks back and I had a taste when I was transferring to a secondary vessel. Although I added plenty of late hops to the boil (czech saaz) I didn't taste or smell a lot coming through.  Have I missed the boat?  I know dry hopping a pilsner is not usually done and I have also read somewhere that dry hopping with czech saaz is not a good idea anyway.

I have a bit of riwaka left over from another brew so I was considering dry hopping with a bit of that. I don't want it to be too over the top just enough to notice. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Views: 1531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is this comp coming up too at the Beervana in Wellington.

http://beervana.co.nz/event-info/home-brew-comp

I assume most (winning) entries would be all grain?

not necessarily. The best beer in the Kiwi as section of our homebrew comp here in Chch was an extract kit. 

I won a Silver with my Wheat beer that was based on two cans of Wheat malt extract too. 

In terms of BJCP competition style guidelines, NZ Pilsner should be crisp, bitter and medium dry. The style allows for a pronounced nz hop signature but fruity esters are penalised. So you have to be a little careful with your hop additions otherwise can easily end up with a flavour and aroma profile closer to a NZ Pale Ale. Personally I enjoy the fruitiness of selected nz hops in my Pilsners and I hope the guidelines for New Zealand Styled Pilsner will change to reflect this. I just brew what I like drinking and for me, nothing beats a pilsner with a strong background bitterness and zesty fruit flavour and aroma!

Recent Comment from Stu at Yeastie boys....

But we left with memories of generous people, an amazing brewery, many great ales and
quite a few pints of Adnams Dry Hopped Lager too (a beer as good as any New Zealand
Pilsner).

Adnams Dry Hopped Lager  Brewed with Pilsner malt, this authentic lager is dry hopped with Australian Galaxy hops to create big, bold flavours. It's then 'lagered' (cold-conditioned) to produce a full, well-rounded flavour . This golden lager is light, crisp and refreshing with subtle malty flavours and a hoppy aroma of tropical fruits, citrus and passion fruit. 

I wish I was reading that off a freshly opened bottle...

Crikey that Adnams Dry hopped Lager sounds good!

I put my pilsner down on the 8/6/14 - it is still in the fermenter. Is it too late to dry hop now? I was looking to bottle this weekend but have been advised to let it sit in the fermenter for a bit longer.

I'm terrible for overthinking things, but I reckon go for it.  Depends when you want to bottle, I suppose, but at the end of the day, is it really going to hurt?

I don't think it will hurt too much but then again I'm not expert. I can bottle a few days later so it shouldn't matter too much. Thanks.

I tried my dry hopped fake pilsner (ale yeast) last night and while too young the Riwaka, Motueka and Nelson Sauvin gave it a fantastic aroma. I doubt dry hopping late would hurt.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service