Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Centenial and US Cascade are always good in IPA...

How does this look, I've never brewed a rye beer before but so far I've liked every one I've tried...

Batch Size: 12.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.4 %
Bitterness: 76.9 IBUs
Est Color: 11.4 SRM

Ingredients
3.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.65 kg Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt 80L

60min 6.00g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]
15min 8.00g Amarillo [8.20 %], 8.00g Columbus [14.00 %], 8.00g Simcoe [13.50 %]
10min 15.00g Amarillo,15.00g Columbus, 15.00g Simcoe, 0.50 tsp Irish Moss
0min 20.00g Amarillo, 20.00g Columbus, 20.00g Simcoe
(hop stand for 10-15min before cooling)

US05 @18C

dry hop for 7 days 25.00g Amarillo, 20.00g Columbus, 20.00g Simcoe

Anyone know of a good substitute for Dingemans Aromatic (Amber 50)?

Gladfield Aurora is a good sub. Otherwise maybe Melanoiden?

Thanks. I wondered about Aurora but was not sure as I have not tried it before.

So, I'm experimenting with Brett WLP650.

I've decided to brew this:

2kg Golden Promise

1.7kg Vienna

1.8kg Munich

0.4kg Wheat

0.4kg Med Crystal 

0.2kg Cara-Aroma

0.02kg Black (for colour)

Mash at 68

Pacific Jade to 15 IBU

OG approx 1.062 - FG probably 1.018

Fermenting first with WLP530 for 3 weeks, then racking to glass and aging on WLP650 Brux for awhile.

anyone have any thoughts? I am using belgian yeast, for 2 reasons. First it is what I have, and secondly, I'm experimenting, as most recipes I see suggest a clean ale yeast. and figured an belgian funk to start will enhance the funks later on. Roughly how long would the funks from the Brett starting showing?

I just had a Southern Tier - Compass

Great beer good info on the bottle. So I'm thinking of brewing something in the same vein. But does anyone have an Idea of how much rose hip I might put in a beer?

Heres the info I have on it

9%
maybe 40 - 50 IBU (just my guess)

pils
torrified wheat
rose hips

kettle: Centenial
hopback: willamette
dry: Centenial

Hey does anyone have a CHEAP allgrain recipe for a nice hoppy Pale Ale? Can be APA, IPA, NZIPA style I dont really mind, as long as it has a good hop hit :-).

$$ are tight at the moment but we are having a curry night in Easter, so I really do have to make something for it. Looking to spend around $40 mark.

Any suggestions welcome.

Here's one that might go well with the curry, and isn't expensive to make - a little Nelson Sauvin goes a long way! Note the batch size was 70L so you may want to scale for your volumes to figure out costs.

http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/group/nzcaseswap/forum/topics/cs7-s...

If you're trying to pinch pennies and get a good hop flavour then I'd use the cheapest/whatever/leftover hops for bittering at 60+min, then big additions of something NZ-grown at 10, 0 [steeped] and dry. Additions between 10-40min are nice to have but not necessary for what you're after IMO. Keep the malt bill simple and go for trusty old US05. The recipe in this thread for a simplified version of Epic Pale Ale would probably be a good one to follow [loosely], you could substitute the cascade for many of the NZ hops (or American, if you can get them for a good price).

thanks vdog & David

Ah the Epic pale ale clone! I definitely want to do this at some stage, but I want to do it properly and get it as close as I can (ie not skimp on hops/cost)

I think I'll give that Nelson Sauv brew a try  - it works out at under $30 for 23L! Thats crazy cheap. At that cost I can afford to get some more hops and go bit bigger with the late additions and dry hop too.

One newbie thing tho - what exactly is this? "0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L" - I wasnt too sure which malt this is

Should be a dark crystal, at least that's what we put in! Just felt it had a little more of a caramel note to it than the paler crystals, particularly given you'll be getting some sweetness from the carapils.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service