Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I am writing a recipe for a Saison with a bit of a SE Asian twist and I am considering adding some fresh Vietnamese mint late in the boil to give just a little extra something. I want it to be just a hint. Any ideas about how much might be good to start with. OG will hopefully be 1.052.

Views: 376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No idea at all!

But let us know how you go as I was thinking similarly for a wit beer.

Sure will. Could be a while, brew # 2 on the list but I am waiting for some new gear.

Interesting, you could try e mailing garage project? they may give you a steer on how much?

Yes, they are next on my list. 

Vietnamese mint is strong, you can pull flavour compounds out easily in cold beer, already carbonated. Try it, it only takes a few minutes to infuse (just pour yourself a beer, any beer, and throw a handful of leaves in there, you will be pleasantly surprised). I wouldnt boil it, just dunk it in the fermenter to taste before bottling/kegging. Ive done it in a porter in the past with nice results.

Hey thanks. I was starting to reconsider using it this time, but that's a great idea. I might bottle most of it without and then infuse a few litres at the end. 

Not much, that stuff has a big kick to it. I've been pondering the same thing though. Vietnamese mint and some kaffir lime leaves maybe?

Like Nicholas Jones suggested I tried infusion ( 5 min with one small fresh leaf) in approx 100ml of 8wired Farmhouse that I was drinking (it's great and didn't need it but....). This added a noticeable but not over powering vietnamese mint flavour and aroma, but also some bitterness to be careful about. Could make or ruin a beer if over done. 

man that farmhouse is good....

Interesting. It's a really unique flavour, that's for sure. I'd be keen to try it out in a Saison as well, I've got a plant out the back and only ever use it in hot & sour soups.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service