Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys

Keen to try and make something similair to this, now the site says that they use NZ saaz, but does anyone know what NZ saaz? And/or if they use another type of hop as well?

Cheers

Views: 469

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i collected the outlet water form the chiller in a series of buckets and used for washing up
Don't forget the burnt rubber. Essential ingredient for the true Emersons flavour.
I was told they use or used to use an ale yeast aswell??
Really? that's interesting.....reliable source?
According to Ally during the SOBA trip to Mac's, it's not the type (lager or ale) yeast you use, it's how you use it - as long as you get the desired result
True, to a certain extent. But try making a hefeweizen with an american ale yeast!
The Americans do!
But is it still a Hefe? :)

I wouldn't have thought so.
This is an American Wheat, quite a different beast. Think Cock and Bull Buxom Blonde (is that their wheat? I thnk it is).
Cock and bull do an American weizen which is pretty much a Crystal Weizen. American Hefeweizen is similar to the Crystal Weizen in flavour but unfiltered and brewed with american yeast strains... not German strains. Flavour is similar however.

American Hefeweizen is another take on the classic brew - same as what Americans do to most popular brews: put their own twist to it. IPA for example.

The point is...without trying to be too pedantic is that you can make Hefeweizens with normal Ale yeast. However, as Stu meant to say: you cant make a traditional German Hefeweizen with a standard ale yeast.
I've heard - from Richard Emerson at a Regional's tasting - that they are not entirely sure where their house yeast came from originally. I think he said it may have been Danish (lager?) or English (ale?).
I wonder! Is it top or bottom fermenting yeast?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service