Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nah I think that ratio is probably pretty good, you really want that centennial to sing, the other 2 are just playing backup :)

Works for me. :) hope it all goes well for you. Working along the same lines, I'm planning this.:

1.5kg Light LME

0.5kg Light DME

1kg Pale Malt

0.5kg wheat

0.4kg Caramalt

0.375 Pale Crystal

0.2kg Cara-Pils

15g Pacific Jade @60

10g Nelson Sauvin @30 (Last of it, So I'm throwing it in there)

30g Motueka & 30g Cascade @ 10

30g Motueka & 30g Cascade @ 1

40g of each Dryhop (80g Total)

US-05

India Black Ale
OG 1.068
FG 1.016
6.9%
44.8 IBU's

5.58kg Ale Malt
0.85kg Munich
0.43kg Caramunich II
0.31kg Carafa Secial II

90 mins - 25g Mosaic
20 mins - 22g Mosaic
0 mins - 15g Mosaic (steep 10 mins)
Dry hop - 58g Mosaic
Dry hop - 29g NZ Cascade

2 x US-05

I've got a small amount of Cascade hops growing that I would like to add at some point(preferably late hop) wet.
How do the pros (experienced) think of this??

Planning a Belgian beer, how does this sound?

15L - 8.3%

3.5 kg (58%) Pilsner
1.5 kg (25%) Abbey
0.5 kg (8%) CaraBelge
0.5 kg (8%) Candi Sugar

25ibu of whatever is in the fridge (Southern Cross or Riwaka I think)

Wyeast 3522 Ardennes

Mash at 68 for 60mins

60min Boil

Finally getting around to doing an American IPA, all the hop-heads who suffer my brews are calling for one.  At the forefront of my mind have been Ballast Point Sculpin IPA and Liberty C!tra IIPA, so have taken aim with those in mind.

5.5kg  Golden Promise

0.6kg  Crystal 10L

0.5kg  Cara-pils/Dextrine

0.3kg  CaraVienne

10g Citra   60min  

10g Simcoe   60min

28g Citra   10min

28g Simcoe   10min

28g Citra   5min

28g Simcoe   5min

Dry hopped with 28g each of Simcoe and Citra, 3 days each.

OG 1.067

IBU 63.7

Any formulation tips?  With all the Citra/Simcoe I'm wondering if I need something 'piney' to balance it out?

I've based the malt bill on the homebrew recipe that Sculpin IPA was developed from.  I'll be happy if I can make it half as cleanly.

I have the same recipe 7 days into ferment (adjusted grain bill due to BIAB %) but so close....

what yeast you are  going with, I was talked into BRY-97 American west coast ... I have another brew using us-05 in same fermentation fridge (17.8 stable) I have to say the BRY is VERY ACTIVE vs us-05 its in glass vs open top plastic but wow there is a very active ferment going on in there.    I would worry about the bry is it was in a fridge.

I hit 1.065 

Haven't seriously considered my yeast options yet.  My thoughts were, being a more hop-forward beer, I would go for something neutral and non-complex; probably a couple of packets of US-05.  That said, I'm open to suggestions, if there is a good reasoning for using a particular liquid yeast.

this was a dry yeast, one of the brewerscoop guys recommened that if I liked us-05 ipa's to try it so I did,   its still going nuts, very fine frothy krausen, it is slow to start like 36hrs, but they warned me of this, I didnt do a starter, but rehydrated for a hour.

I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the BRy-97 Peter. General internet concensus so far is that the BRY-97 drops a bit of hop flavour compared with US05 but is still relatively close.

It sounds quite like the San Diego Super Yeast that While Labs do WL090. I have used it a few times and it goes like crazy! I do think the 090 drops a bit of hop flavour compared with US05 though... but it finishes faster!

Oh right, this is the new one just in.  Maybe I should have a go with it.  Split batch perhaps?

man it smells fruity while brewing, but there is a 25 page thread on net and there is a consensus it drops a bit of hop out....    is it possible to use isinglass then rack to a secondary and then dry hop while cold crashing...   so by the time you dry hop you have already stripped out as much yeast as possible?   will the isinglass left pull out the dry hop?

it so needs a blow off, i am over cleaning out airlocks, never again with this yeast will i air lock.   The fermentaion in the carboy its amazingly violent....

Isinglass, gelatin or whatever ought to crash out along with the yeast.  To be honest it doesnt sound like it needs it. 

That should then give you a good result from the dry hopping.  But if you're bottle conditioning, you may want to add a little yeast back, to carbonate properly.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service