RealBeer.co.nz

Any thoughts just tried my IPA, With this hop sechdule
10g NS @ 60
15g NS @ 15
20g Cascade @15
30g Cascade @ 0
25g Cascade Dry Hop
10g NS Dry Hop

Nelson Sauvin Is just all over the cascade and has realy got that Sauvignon blanc aroma and taste coming on, Any thoughts on an aproprite level of hop or should the Nelson sauvin come with a warning on the packet?

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yeah its good stuff alright i agree it totaly dominates 100g NS late hopped is great in a american style ipa
No worries with that combo at all, as long as the ferment is nice and clean. Not too sweet. There'll be a nice load of cascade in there with it. Is it bitter enough? What's your estimated IBU?
50.3ibu, it is only the first day in secondry, just shet myself and thought i brewed a wine, As for sweetness its sitting at 1.017 which is more than i want but will wait and see what it ends up at before bottling cheers
50ibu will probably handle a beer up around the 1.015 mark. don't stress yet.
Give it a few weeks. It'll change considerably with carbonation and a cooler temp (i'm guessing you won't be drinking it flat at 20c).
Holey Sh@t cant believe I Sh@t myself over this, I done a lot of research into this style of beer and thought i had goosed it up!! I thought the Sauvin had totaly over powered the Malt and totaly killed of the cascade!! but neither!! I still think the NS needs to condition out and let the 22 deg ferm fruityness reveal itself, but all is good. The next Two week will tell........
All depends on how thirsty I get watching the warriors this weekend!!
Tip of the day is don't bother tasting beer until it is conditioned, green beer generally tastes like crap and it will always change. Tasting it to soon just causes unnecessary stress and annoying self doubt with out achieving anything.

You do need to go gentile with the NS, I just dry hopped 2000L of Pale Ale with 500g of NS (only 5g into 20L) and its pretty good, really sharpens up the aromatics nicely. Much more than that and it will start to dominate, which is fine if thats what your into.

I have had poor results with big NS additions late in the boil, I find it produces a swampy sort of character that takes a long time to condition out.

GO the Warriors

Steve
Cheers Steve, didnt want the NS to dominate just to add a little to sharpen aroma and citrus. Will take it on board and not try again till its ready.
The way I look at hops is sort of the same way I look at tannin in wine. Yeah it can be big and ballsy in the beginning but it will mellow out with time.
The last IPA I made was a classic example. IBU of about 60 and was hugely bitter and aromatic after ferment but after 6 weeks in the bottle is smoothing out nicely and to me expresses what an IPA is all about..... :))

dh

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service