Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I feel like another brewing book to stick my beak in to.
I already have How To Brew, Complete Joy of Homebrewing and The Home Brewing Companion.

I just wondered what other reading, people would recommend? 

Views: 1025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The big book of brewing - Dave Lines. Covers all the basics. 20% recipes.

Brewing beers like you buy - Dave Lines. If you really want to brew Double Diamond!

Brewing Crafts - Mike Rodgers-Wilson. Mainy recipes using Brewcraft's range.

Clone Brews - Tess and mark Szamatulski. A huge range of recipes.

Brew your own British real ale - Graham Wheeler. 50% recipes.

I haven't read much of any of them, they are treated like reference books. I got a bunch from Amazon.co.uk with free postage if you spend 25 quid.

I like these:

Brew Like  A Monk

Tasting Beer - Randy Mosher

Radical Brewing - Randy Mosher

Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels

What was Designing Great Beers like MrC? I've been looking at that one lately.

Designing Great Beers is a good book but I guess it depends on what your after.  I read it cover to cover because that's what I do.  The first half is good informative reading about what changes in ingredients bring to a beer, etc.  The second half talks more about home brew styles trends vs commercial and is maybe getting a little dated and not necessarily in line with NZ homebrew trends.  

I found it to be beneficial to my brewing when I was getting my teeth into all grain.  More of a reference book now.

Yeah, that's what the reviews I read said. Looks like my kind of book (well the first half at least). Cheers.

Brewing Classic Styles is also good.  Some of the ingredients are hard (or impossible) to get and NZ hops don't feature at all.  It's a good way to get a good benchmark recipe for every BJCP style though.

I've recently read Gordon Strong's "Brewing Better Beer" and found it helps me start to pull all the parts together that I've learnt from other more ' step by step' instructional books.  He talks more about the art of brewing - but is frimly grounded in the science so a good step on from How to Brew.

Good books on brewing for brewers

Principles of Brewing Science

George Fix

Yeast; the Practical Guide to fermentation

Chris White

Technology Brewing and Malting

Wolgang Kunz

I'd put a +1 for several mentioned above.

Designing Great Beers - just perfect for understanding the "why" of ingredients and recipe formulation

Principles of Brewing Science - the clue is in the name. Dense, but nothing else informs like it.

Brewing Better Beer - I disagree with a ton of stuff in it, which is why I love it.

Yeast: The Practical Guide to fermentation - not enough people think about the most important part of making beer. You will after you've read this.

I love "brew like a monk" cause I love Belgians. I will try and belgianify freakin anything (not sure about the Belgian oatmeal stout currently fermenting, but we'll see)

Radical brewing by randy mosher is easily my favourite brewing book. It covers most things I wanna know, but its just jam packed with inspiration.

Love brewing classic styles. Great starting point for pretty much any style

A have a few others but these are my go to ones.

Radical Brewing is an awesome read, but it made me want to brew crazy things, and because I seem to have very little in the way of a filter between an idle whim and an action, it also made me brew crazy things. I really want to read Yeast.

Did I mention I have a Belgian oatmeal stout fermenting? :)

Yeah keen to get yeast as well.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service