Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, sure is. It's still fermenting, but samples are tasting superb. I'll dry hop it for a few days in a weeks time or so, hopefully this doesn't upset the balance. I reckon Mot is a great hop, it's not quite as easily definable as other NZ hops but definitely has a unique character.

my first lager............

5.5 vienna

.350gr carapils

40ibu worth of saaz 2.9% alpha

czech pils wyeast

very soft water

any thoughts or additions welcomed

What's you hopping schedule? 40ibu of 2.9%AA hops could make for a lot of hops. Maybe use a higher AA hop for bitterring purposes and and save the Saaz for the later additions ?

50.00 gm Saaz [2.90%] (60 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
40.00 gm Saaz [2.90%] (45 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz [2.90%] (90 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz [2.90%] (10 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz [2.90%] (0 min) Hops

That hopping schedule looks OK.  I usually go for a higher AA hop for bittering to reduce the overall amount of hops, cost & trub, but I think it would be an interesting exercise to brew it exactly as you have it.  Some people think that low AA hops give a more harsh bitterness than a high AA hop but I think it depends on the hop (oil profiles, etc).  I've never used a hop with an AA that low for bittering so I won't comment any further.  I'd be interested to know what you think of it, especially the bitterness.

according to my research you can get away with alot more bitterness with softer water, apparently takes the edge of it.  Its in the fermentor currently.........

Since i had a Digital IPA recently i've decided my next brew will be an all NZ hopped IPA.

Possible grain bill:

pale ale malt

crystal

munich.

Hops - maybe nelson Sauv, rakau, motueka?? any opinions.

Not sure on amounts yet. This will be my 1st all-grain using cooler mash tun since BIAB so not sure what sort of efficiency it'll be running at. Would like to aim for about 6.5%abv. 19L batch. All suggestions welcomed.

Sauvin is good, but dont go too heavy on it. I have found about a ratio of 1 part Sauv to 4 parts other hops to be plenty. I recently tried a pale with a bit more Sauvin and I much prefer it at the lower level.

I combine the Sauvin with NZ Cascade and something like Motueka or Pacifica and like the results.

This is the recipe of the brew with too much Sauvin. It is on the darker side of a pale ale too... http://inzanebrew.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/caspa2-nz-pale-ale-tweak/

That said, this recipe was nice. 

I'm realising about Sauvin that if you want it balanced with other hops you use a small amount, but that the only way to get that full-on passionfruit character is to push on through and use lots. I'd tend to use late additions rather than dry hop, but this recipe by Tom Innes was a stellar beer when it was fresh, so clearly rules are made to be broken. 

Depends how much you like it and what other hops you're using.

I like it 1:2 with cascade, but with say Pacifica or Motueka like you say, 1:4, but it's more personal preference and taste rather than a set ratio

It;s also really good as a big bittering addition

Agreed, I used bucket-loads of it in an American hopped black IPA (late hopped and dry) and it was outstanding, really complimented the American hops.

Stu generously posted up that recipe, it's here somewhere, but the guts - or ingredients-  are

80.5%  Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise
 11.5%  Weyermann Munich Malt Type 1
  5.7%  Weyermann CaraPils
  2.3%  Thomas Fawcett Caramalt 35

Hops:
@ 60min:
 Pacific Jade to 77 IBU (the g/L will vary based on bitterness calculated from late hops)
@ 10 min:
 0.8g/L Motueka
 0.8g/L Nelson Sauvin  
@ 0 min:
4.2g/L Motueka   
1.7g/L Cascade   
1.7g/L Nelson Sauvin
Dry hop (add following krausen subsiding, leave for for 4 days at 20c)
0.8g/L Motueka
0.8g/L Cascade

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service