Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70879

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good one Ralph, I hope you didn't get a trade Mark on the name from IPONZ :-)

Perhaps I will have to rename it Riwade.

Not trademarked ;-) I was just amused that we have a similar naming schedule. I have no problem with more than one person using the same name for a different beer!

I quite like the name of the beer I brewed previous to the Cawaka. It was a Hallercade...

Hi all, 

Am planning a Bo Pils in the next couple of days. Can anyone suggest the best way to use Sauvin as a single hop?

I had a friend's Sauvin IPA recently that had the profile I want: dry bitterness on the palate, intense passionfruit on the nose and complex fruit flavours. I'm trying to avoid that winey, sweaty flavour that it sometimes has.

Here's the recipe- what would you do with the additions?

Sauvin Pils

1.050 SG

Mash @ 67C

Gladfield Pilsener Malt 4.153 kg (93.0 %) 

German Caramel Pils 0.223 kg (5.0 %)

German Melanoidin Malt 0.089 kg (2.0 %)

Nelson Sauvin (12.5 % alpha) 9 g @ 60

Nelson Sauvin (12.5 % alpha) 14 g @ 30 Min

Nelson Sauvin (12.5 % alpha) 19 g @ 10 Min From End

Nelson Sauvin (12.5 % alpha) 28 g @  turn off

Yeast: Wyeast 2487-Hella-Bock

Thinking about the recipe above: should I take out the 10 min addition and put in some dry hopping to avoid the "sweaty wine" flavour?

I brewed a SMaSH pale ale with a similar hop schedule to what you have posted above (minus the 30 min addition) and it was great.  Nice Sauvin flavour & aroma and no sweaty wine character (which I dislike).  I reckon the recipe you've posted will be fine.  IMO dry hopping is more likely to give the sweaty wine character that you mention.  

If you do decide to dry hop, keep it small, short and warm (approx 1g/L for 5 days max @ around 20C).  I've had that sweaty wine character from Sauvin when I dry hopped in the keg (cold) and the sweaty wine kicked in at about day 7-10.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Was wondering whether it's worth dry hopping when it's going to be lagered for a month afterwards. Probably better to stick with a large 0 minute addition.

Due to the simple nature of that beer and the lack of flavoursome specialty malts the hops should be noticable.  I think it'll be fine without the dry hop.  It'll be more of a nicely balanced pils rather than in your face.
tried 8 wired smoked porter last night,it was the first time i've tried a smoked beer and i wouldn't mind making one.any suggestions for a smoked malt percentage to achieve a similar smokiness?

any suggestions?

I brewed a tweaked version of Jamil's Smoked Porter once and it was pretty good.  I reckon it'll put you roughly in the same ball park as 8 Wired Smoked Porter.  I'd happily brew it again.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the Weyermann's beechwood-smoked malt here, not the peat smoked malt.  If you plan on using peat smoked malt you will need to use a lot less to achieve a similar level of smoke (albeit a different kind if smoke).  I much prefer the beechwood-smoked malt.

I brewed a smoked porter about one month ago and I used 5kg of Weyermann smoked and about  1kg of specialty malts.  It's hardly overpowering so I'd suggest you make all of your base malt, smoked and whatever, crystal etc you need  on top.

where did you buy the beechwood smoked? i just had a quick look around and everyone seems to have peat smoked.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service