Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Rev - that rich, hop oil smack is what I'm after (and as you've said - blurring into an American Amber territory its gonna be big, like a Sin City Mickey Rourke back hander).

7 -10 days to wring the last tasty drops out of those hops hey...righto!  As I said its new territory so keen to learn.

Yeah in my experience 6-7 days for NZ hops and 7-10 days for US hops is best. Others will tell you to dry hop for a shorter period, but you definitely get more resins in the last few extra days, that contributes to the mouthfeel and perceived bitterness I reckon..

Hi all, 

Looking for a little feedback on my first crack at a witbier. At present my grain bill is 

60% Malteurop Pilsner

30% raw (flaked) wheat

10% raw (rolled) oats

With Tetnang to bitter and coriander and ginger for flavour

That's a whole bunch of unmalted grain - does anyone have any experience of whether this will mash? Cryer Malt's have an analysis sheet for the Malteurop Pilsner that works out to ~75 Litner, I guess can just multiply that by 60% to get the concentration of enzymes in the mash? That's 45L which sounds like it should be enough?

The other question is yeast. I've not checked, but Dunedin Malthouse might have Wyeast 3944 sitting in their fridge, the other option is SafBrew T-58. Anyone have an opinion on these? think the liquid yeast is sufficiently better than the dry option to go with it?

T-58 will make you a reasonably nice wit if you can't get 3944, it's quite spicy. If you can't be bothered making a starter I'd use the dry, otherwise the liquid's probably a bit classier.

Pilsner should provde enough emzymes. Suggest you cereal mash the wheat and oats with some of the Pilsner first and then mash everything as per usual.

For those of you who don't have a fancy phone that can read the QR codes on Digital IPA:

http://yeastieboys.posterous.com/private/yCmgJxeHrs

Motueka, cascade and Sauvin @ 0 min is tasting mighty good in the Tee-Bix-Mot-Mix right now

Might have to get a taste of this Digital to see what it's like in a pale

Ya, I must find somewhere to taste it too. I have been drinking an amber with Motueka, Sauvin and Pacifica which is tasting pretty damn good, and have a pale with Cascade, Sauvin and Pacifica which I really like.

I am liking this open source brewing as it means I get to taste different hop combos without having to brew a batch of it myself.

The way you use them changes everything too... the yeast and/or the malts you use with them make a big difference too.

I'm a big fan of Pacifica - it was 80% of the hop bill in Her Majesty 2011 and 30% in Hud-a-wa' (which is changing from Cascade/Styrian/Pacifica to Cascade/Pacifica in the batch fermenting now... trialling a different English yeast too).

Bravo Stu, an awesomely "open source" attitude.
Looks good... backing off those late hops will probably be a good thing given the time the commercial beer sits hot before the kettle run-off. Get a good clean mash run-off, a vigorous boil and a clean ferment and those hops will be bloody gorgeous.

Looks good. I was looking on here to find this exact recipe (or someones interpretation of it so I could work with easy to find grains).

Is there any reason you have cut back on Motueka @ 0 min with only 34g? The original at Digital IPA recipe had this at 4.2g/L which should make it somewhere around 80g.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service