Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That recipe looks great to me.  I brewed something similar a while back.  The only real difference with mine was that I used Maris Otter and bitterness was around 30 IBU.

I see that your BU:GU is around 1.  That makes for quite a bitter beer but if that's what your after then I say go for it. 

Did you consider dry hopping it?  Another 20g for the last 5 days?  I'd taste it after 4 days and decide then.

Cheers pal. Well I might try the Vienna this time and Marris Otter the nex haha. Yeah the ratio for the bitterness was 0.9. So I might bring that down to make about 35-40 IBU's. Will definitly consider a dry hop now you mention it. Thanks a heap!
BU:GU is a great as a general guide but it doesn't really apply to really big or really small beers. With smash beers I go for a lower bitterness due the lack of sweetness from specialty malts to balance the bitterness.
And don't forget to take account of the FG !
Does 'Smash' refer to the use of a single malt?

Def stick with the vienna, it has enough oomph for a smash beer imo and willl be so much yummier!! 

All the smash beers ive made or tried with MO or GP have been pretty average tbh in comparison to vienna or munich. Good to brew it once to get an understanding of the malt, but its not something I would brew again.

Cheers man. Thats why im thinking of doing a few smash brews. Give me some ideas about flavours

Having a go at my first American IPA this weekend. 

Its probably more an English IPA with American hop schedule and yeast but I want more malt and a little toast flavour out of the grist. 

Thought I'd use a little Maximus inspiration in the hop schedule too with a touch of Sauvin to lift the fruit. 

How does this look?  Any adjustments needed to balance it all up?

Recipe Specifications --------------------------

Batch Size: 24.00 L

Estimated OG: 1.068 SG     Estimated Color: 8.1 SRM

Estimated IBU: 62.0 IBU    Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %    Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients: ------------ 

5.80 kg Golden Promise (Bairds) (2.7 SRM) Grain 89.23 %

0.50 kg Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) (15.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %

0.10 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (36.0 SRM) Grain 1.54 %

0.10 kg Crystal Malt Medium140-160(Bairds) (74.1 SGrain 1.54 %

30.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 38.3 IBU

30.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (10 min) Hops 9.8 IBU

20.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU

25.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (5 min) Hops 4.5 IBU

15.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU

20.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

20.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

10.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (0 min)

30.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (0 min) 

30.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (0 min)

10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)

30.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)

30.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)

30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)

1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-0Yeast-Ale

Looks like a rather delicious american amber ale.

My 2 cents - dont waste columbus as a bittering hop, its so lovely as a dry hop, so pungent and delicious!! Combined with the cent, amarillo and cascade it will be beautiful!! Id probably ditch the sauvin as well to make it more authentic and less cat piss like lol

I'd say just use the Sauvin as your 60min if you really want to use it - I did a APA last month that had 10g of Sauvin as the bittering & it's a great beer.

Grist looks good.

Thanks fellas - being my first shot at one of these it feels like I'm flying a little blind. 

It makes sense to use the Columbus where it'll shine and to start out with a more standard "reference" attempt first time around. 

I also like the NS for bittering having used it a few times that way for NZPAs -  NS it is then for bittering - and Columbus will drop down the order to dry hop. 

Thats by far my biggest dry hop to date - 120g!!  Is there a chance it will end up grassy if I dry hop warm at day 4 (post krausen) for 3-5 days?

Not with US goodness like that, 120g will give you a pungent, smack in the face aroma, it will be oily and resinous, but delicious all at the same time!!

I would suggest dry hopping for 7-10 days to get the most out of your hops, crash cool on the 8th day, leave cold for 2 and then keg.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service