Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

This is a re-brew of a clone brew. The original recipe was based on the Brewing Network "Can You Brew It?" shows attempt at Rogue's "Shakespeare Stout". The first version came out well (although it got panned in the NHC) and this is just a slightly tweaked version.

4.0kg Golden Promise

0.6kg Crystal 120L

0.6kg Chocolate malt

0.6kg rolled oats (toasted)

0.08kg Roast Barley

Mashed at 70 degrees C

90 minute boil

70g US Cascade @ 60 mins

35g US Cascade @ 0 mins

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

OG was 1.058 (was aiming for 1.061)

Brewday was a bit of a nightmare. The oats made the runoff incredibly slow. I responded by upping the temperature of my sparge water, which helped. 

It didn't ferment out as far as I would have liked (ended up at 1.020 and wouldn't go lower). It doesn't taste sweet (the amount of roast & hops probably sees to that) but it's maybe a little thicker than I would have liked. Carbonation is also a little on the low side - I had a leak on the keg and ran out of gas just before bottling!

With all the difficulties I had with this beer I thought about renaming it "The Scottish Play". Still, I reckon it's very drinkable so I hope you guys like it.

Views: 73

Replies to This Discussion

The first beer I pulled out of the box.

Nice beer Martin, and to qualify that I'd just had a glass of Coopers Best Extra stout prior to this ( a beer near and dear to my heart) and yours tasted much better.  Much more luscious malt on the palate and more roasted character.  This bottle emptied itself with ease.  When I saw the beers name I was expecting a hop assault (knowing rogue beers) but it was really well balanced. More malt then hops if anything... just fine with me.

Damn, this is such a nice beer.

I wasn't going to complain about it being low tide in the bottle but now that I know what it tastes like I'm disappointed not to have more. You owe me Mister Bridges.

Beer is inky black but (bright clear in the pour) with a tan head that starts off puffing out of the glass and remains a good 8mm thick the whole way down the pint.

On the nose some roasty malt and I'm getting a whiff of caramel blended with licorice in there too.

Beer is chewy and delicious on the front of the palette, dark caramel and chocolate followed by a cleansing bitterness without any trace of harshness if that makes any sense. Finishes perfectly, the dry roast cleansing your mouth for another sip but at the end of the pint all the flavours kick on to remind me how good it was.

Going to have to compare to my own WBC destined American stout now, I fear it's utter shit in comparison.

First beer of the swap for me, this sets a high standard.

Nice work Martin, only question I have is what are you going to give me to make up for the 3 quarter full bottle?

This beer was a good lesson for me in how ingredients can be used in terms of balance etc. I brewed an old ale that finished at 1.020 but is sickly sweet. This, however, has a thick and silky mouthfeel but does not seem too sweet in the slightest. I Iove how the roastyness and bitterness combines and kindov dries out the palette so that you instantly want more. Ive realised I don't drink alot of stout, but this is for sure one of the better ones and makes me want to drink more, so cheers !

Lovely black/auburn on the pour, and really clear with the light that just managed to make it through the stream as it went. This is a very dark beer - holding the glass to the light there's very little getting through. A great start...

Aroma is all dark goodness - coffee and liquorice with something sweet in behind. On the palate there's roast, chocolate and the liquorice again, with a good bitterness that balances well. The body, bitterness and carbonation all seem to be in harmony, making it a really satisfying beer to drink.

Thanks Martin, this was great - cheers for sharing.

Bit of a gusher when I opened this, strange as it's been in the fridge for what must be a couple of weeks now. Quickly decanted into a jug. It hasn't taken away any of the flavour so not sure what's up with that. Deep black with a little rich brown in there too. Poured really clearly for a dark beer into the jug. 

Thick, tan, latte style head. Instantly got the reference to Shakespeare Stout, the smell is identical to me. I can't place what is it but I assume it's the large dollop of cascade at 0 mins! Lovely! Thick and rich body, excellent carbonation. There's little sweetness in there but it's not bitter either. Just balanced I guess. The darker roast malts are there but the chocolate is giving me something different to what I'm used to with Roast Barley. I've never used choc malt in this amount but it doesn't come across as aggressive as black or roast. Really enjoying this beer Martin, I could easily drink a few of these in a row. 2 great case swap beers tonight from different ends of the spectrum, nice work guys.

Thanks dude. A gusher, eh? Very weird. I gave those bottles a good clean before I used them.

Glad you liked it.

This is an awesome beer for me. I dont have much experience with the malts but Hell..... this beer rocks...

Very nice in appearance, nice head, aroma is what you would expect and the flavours rule...

Dude, you rock, ... thanks for the great beer and well done...  \m/

I could smash a keg or two of this no worries !!

Martin - Pale chocolate or normal chocolate??
Normal.

So, this recipe is pretty close to what I brewed for WBC. It was hard to resist tasting them side by side, so I didn't resist, and now I'm burdened with the knowledge that I don't have an popsicle's chance in hell at the WBC :)

Hope you don't mind me giving comparative feedback, because that's how I tasted it!

My grain bill was the same, I couldn't get US hops so had to opt for NZ cascade, and s05 yeast. I got my OG a bit higher than yours, and finished at 1.018.

The pour was beautiful.

Aromawise, I was struck by how much more citrus you've got than me. The expected stout smells were there, but I couldn't believe how much more hop character you had. Awesome.

As for taste / body, our tastes were similar, but you has a much crisper bitterness. The body of yours was definitely lighter, mine had a silky smooth feel to it, whereas yours seems to cleanly cut through that (in a good way). I think your carb was quite high in the bottle I received. I had some pretty tasty burps going on.

I very much enjoyed this beer, despite the fact that it has relieved me of the greatest of all treasures; hope :)

Thanks for the beer!

"I couldn't get US hops so had to opt for NZ cascade"

And you're really surprised that Martins was better? :oP

Just looking through me beers and this is one I definitely didn't get. 

The unlabelled golden/pale ale i had last night might be Barry's but it seemed to have a hint of "Belgian" in it.  I was thinking it must have been Rev's until I looked then and noticed a bottle with "Rev" on it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service